Not open for further replies.
Rear wheel arch dimensions PLZ

DieselJeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, Isuzu 1.8L 4FB1 Diesel
Hello everyone,
I am almost done with the project, but the last metal I have to fabricate for the tub is the rear wheel arches. A PO bubba'd them pretty badly. Cut so far as to get into the earlier fuel fill stamping, and even the triangle "dip" at the top edge where tops mounted originally.

I have searched exhaustively, and other than a few pics from too far away I haven't had much luck. I don't have access to a stock CJ5 or m38a1 either.

What I am hoping for is diameter dimension across the arch above the trailing edge radius, and the diameters of the leading and trailing edge radius as the trailing seems about half of the forward radius. Also, exact measurements to the arch from other stampings, such as the triangle top dip, early fuel area stamping, ect.. Maybe from what stamping as soon as it is flat on the vertical? Hope this makes sense to somebody haha.

Mine is a '74 CJ5, and want to return the arch to 100% stock dimensions.

If you can share nice reference pics with dimensions, in advance: :notworthy:

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just a thought, but what about donor panels from a pre 76 5? Maybe find one where the floors are gone or the front was in a wreck and cut out the arches in the flat side metal. Easier to graph them in and weld in and patch straight surface lines.

The wheel opening (horizontal) is 31 7/8 to 32" and the height from the bottom is 13 3/4 to 14". The rear wheel opening is the same on all the flatties (MB/GPW through 3B) and all the CJ 5/6 at least through 75.

Thanks for the info, everyone.
Donor would be a waste here in the rustbelt, and would take about the same amount of time to make my own.

The wheel opening (horizontal) is 31 7/8 to 32" and the height from the bottom is 13 3/4 to 14". The rear wheel opening is the same on all the flatties (MB/GPW through 3B) and all the CJ 5/6 at least through 75.

Thanks. Problem is, I have no reference where to center it. All of the original wheel arch was cut out before I got it. Riser wall to leading edge?

Can someone technically minded, who can accurately read a tape or square, with a nice, original, stock tub please make a quick, small effort to help me out? I am trying to make accurate repair panels, with correct forward and trailing radii, properly centered in the stock location.

Not trying to whine, cry or beg, but this would have been done already, and asked for help over a week ago... :(

Last edited:
Awesome.

What a helpful bunch of fellers.

So glad I joined this forum.

We now return to our regularly scheduled bubba'd swampers and I :censored: gold bricks so can afford whatever cherry hunk of :dung: I fall in love with this year.

Don't trip over each other posting build threads about doing what everyone else does.

Well after 140 views and a week of patiently waiting for assistance from SOMEONE with a kind soul and 5 minutes, I'm not really expecting much help anyways at this point. Thrilled to see a project sailing completely uncharted waters NO ONE has attempted before is worthy of a few minutes of anyone's time.

But a few off the cuff responses that took all of 3 seconds that are like half filled mug when someone asked if you wanted a beer.

Thanks?

But if I was hacking up irreplaceable Toledo made parts for some outrageous, overpriced, and largely completely unnecessary garbage solely installed to impress other men, well, everyone would be standing in line to give me a reach around.

NO thanks. EVER. Not my way.

Just like a fiero forum. Yikes. I think I will go ban myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks