Quatratrac?

Quatratrac?

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
What is Quatratrac & how do I know if my CJ7 has it or not. Replaced the master cylinder & front calipers today & know brake lines, etc are blowing. Any good sorces for brake lines? I guess I'm gonna go ahead & replace all the lines/hoses.

Quadatrac is a shift on the fly system I guess the easiest way to know is, If you have don't have manual locking hubs, and there is just a smooth cap where they should be, It's a Q trac. You can also look under the Jeep at the long axle tube on the front end, If It's Q-trac there will also be a vac line going to an actuator for the fork to shift into 4X4. A smooth tube will mean It's a standard manual lock system.

Last edited:
I zoomed in on you CJ5 side view pic in your gallery. Looks like manual hubs to me...

attachment.php

I didn't know that any of the CJ5's came with QTrac? I know the 7's did, but I haven't seen a 5 with it.
I could be wrong, its happened before :laugh:

She's a CJ7 w/ locking hubs.
Thanks guys, now I can look for a brake line kit.

She's a CJ7 w/ locking hubs.
Thanks guys, now I can look for a brake line kit.
cdlongfr - Before you buy any more pieces for that CJ, especially hard brake lines. Please take note:

You DO NOT own a CJ7. You OWN a CJ5!

Soft brake lines are the same for a 5 and 7 but not all the hard ones are.

You can purchase all the brake lines you need from Quadratec. Brake Lines & Cables - Quadratec

I stand corrected, as you guys know a bunch more than I do, I now know she's a CJ5. Damn, now I gotta change all my signatures! No wonder I have such a hard time gettin' into the driver's seat.

thats OK. eventually the 5 will grow on you, and you will learn the Zedi art of leg-folding and it will be easy to get into.

BTW, have you ever driven a Flat-fender CJ? I'm short and I have to fold up in half to drive one..M poor bride can't even sit comfortable in the passenger seat! Thats the only reason I don't own one right now...:(

Only previous jeeps I drove were M-38s & the Fords. Guess where?

What is Quatratrac & how do I know if my CJ7 has it or not. Replaced the master cylinder & front calipers today & know brake lines, etc are blowing. Any good sorces for brake lines? I guess I'm gonna go ahead & replace all the lines/hoses.

"QuadraTrac" is a 'Jeep' name for the Borg Warner 1305 and 1339 transfer case.
The Borg Warner 1305 and 1339 transfer cases were used from '76 to '79 in Jeep vehicles behind THM-400 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS.
If you don't have an Automatic Transmission, then you don't have a "QuadraTrac" transfer case.

The Borg Warner 1305 and 1339 transfer cases were FULL TIME cases, meaning they drive the front drive shaft all the time, depending on which end had traction or not.
We refer to it as 'All Wheel Drive' now.
Although the transfer case COULD drive both axles, normally it worked like a 'Open Differential' and supplied power to the axle with the LEAST resistance.

The Borg Warner 1305 was a single speed transfer case, NO LOW RANGE,
The Bord Warner 1339 was a TWO SPEED transfer case, it had a 'High' and 'Low' range,
Shifted by a lever coming out of the transmission tunnel, drivers side, just in front of the drivers seat.

The Borg Warner 1305 & 1339 transfer cases had an 'Emergency Drive' switch, Vacuum powered, usually mounted in the glove box with an indicator light in the dash that drove BOTH AXLES DIRECTLY...
A 50/50 split in power for short periods of time.
You should NOT drive on hard packed roads with the 'Emergency Drive' engaged.

The Borg Warner 1305/1339 Transfer case is a 3/4 Ton truck case, and with fresh chain and rebuild, it's VERY hard to beat as a high speed 4 wheel drive case!
Desert racers REALLY liked it!

The Borg Warner 1305/1339 case takes a SPECIALTY FLUID, and should have maintenance REGULARLY!
If the chain breaks and wads up in the bottom of the case, it WILL blow the case apart!

The Borg Warner 1305/1339 cases came out in Jeep Vehicles ONLY behind the GM THM-400, Three Speed Automatic Transmission from '76 to '79.

The THM-400 Transmission is the proverbial 800 Pound Gorilla of Automatic Transmissions and is capable of holding back 600+ horse power from the factory!

The cost for all that strength is the heavy rotating mass in the transmission...
The THM-400 will need rebuilt about every 60K to 75,000 Miles since the heavy internal parts wear the bushings/bearings out very quickly compared to transmissions like the GM THM-350, Ford C-6, or Chrysler TF A-727 three speed automatics.

With fresh rebuild, and tight center support bushing & seals, the THM-400 is the most potent Automatic you can take off-roading!

Anything else you would like to know about the Borg Warner 1305 or 1339 transfer case, or the transmission it was mated to in Jeep vehicles?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks