Problems bleeding my brakes

Problems bleeding my brakes

Hamilton172

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1968 CJ5-225 V6-T86-Dana 18-27/44 axles
So I just finished installing my new brake lines. Every piece was replaced or rebuilt. Master was cleaned and rebuilt, all T's were cleaned, new flex lines, new hard lines and wheel cylinders. I have been able to bleed both front and the left rear. But the stupid right rear won't bleed! Any ideas? Tried the conventional pump bleeding and used my fancy vacuum bleeder, fluid level isn't going down, it's no bueno.

If you not getting any fluid then pull the bleeder out and look at the hole in it. It will be plugged solid with dirt etc. Use a small drill to clean her out and try again. Same problem I had on my fronts.

could be a defective wheel cyl. Try breaking the line loose and see if fluid is getting to it.

I'll have to give all of those ideas a try. Let you know how it goes.

Proportioning valve (combination valve) is stuck probably.

Braking systems are split diagonally across most vehicles. i.e the right rear and left front are on one circuit; left rear and right front are on the other.

So that way if you blow a line, you still have adequate braking power. Approximately 80% of your stopping power comes from the front wheels. The rear brakes typically energize (activate) before the front brakes because the rear give you stability. So it's important that if one circuit fails, the other can maintain stopping power and stability.

Also note, when bleeding a brake system, you're supposed to start with the wheel furthest from the master then work your way to the closest.

So in order you should go right rear, left rear, right front then left front.

Typically if you start that way, the proportioning valve should right itself. If it doesn't you may just need to replace it.

Proportioning valve (combination valve) is stuck probably.

Braking systems are split diagonally across most vehicles. i.e the right rear and left front are on one circuit; left rear and right front are on the other.

So that way if you blow a line, you still have adequate braking power. Approximately 80% of your stopping power comes from the front wheels. The rear brakes typically energize (activate) before the front brakes because the rear give you stability. So it's important that if one circuit fails, the other can maintain stopping power and stability.

Also note, when bleeding a brake system, you're supposed to start with the wheel furthest from the master then work your way to the closest.

So in order you should go right rear, left rear, right front then left front.

Typically if you start that way, the proportioning valve should right itself. If it doesn't you may just need to replace it.

Only 1 line running from valve to rear axle, so diagonal breaking is not possible. Non abs systems are split front to rear.

My guess would be plugged bleeder if the other rear will bleed.

If it won't gravity bleed the problem is likely in the bleeder itself being clogged as others have suggested. If you are using a vacuum bleeder and bubbles keep appearing it is leaking at the juncture itself, around the bleeder threads or you have a leak at a juncture upstream.
Good luck,
Jim

Broke the line loose and fluid came pouring out. So I stuck a paper clip through it and I think it was a little bit of casting that was messed up. Broke through it with a pick and it works great now.

:banana: Good to hear you figured it out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks