Practice practice practice

Practice practice practice

BajaEdition

Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up
70 cj6 4 inch lift
so I am about to do a bit of weldng on the CJ5, and I wanted to get practiced up
so ere is what I didi, I got a lot of dissimular sized metal, andgot solid core wire and practiced set up for flux core. I mean that is kinda hard, then once finished with a projest got out the flux core and got the machine singing, just before doing somesheet metal I went back to solid wire and gas, WOW did my welds ever improve. i had heard of this trick before. It makes sure your prep is really good and that you get the machine singing a sweet tone, but I never thought to try it. You know, some of those old welders know a few tricks
here is what I welded up for practice
003.jpg

002_151479.jpg

Nice face! LMAO!

As you stated - nothing is better then practice! Lay miles of beads! :)

Well if you got to practice you might as make something cool.

Thats pretty slick right there.

Let me get this straight though. You are using flux core for heavy welds and solid for sheetmetal? Or are you setting up the maching with flux and then converting over to solid?

Did the wife say it was ok to park him in the front yard?? :laugh:

Have you ever tried to weld a pressure or liquid tight container, preferably from sheet metal, steel, not thicker than 10 ga.?? With either hard wire of flux core, that will hold 5 PSI with out blowing soap bubbles in a leak test??
Size is of no relevance, 6"X6" give or take. Of course it would have to have a threaded fitting welded in for the air fitting.:cool:

I was just wondering.:rolleyes:

Thats pretty slick right there.

Let me get this straight though. You are using flux core for heavy welds and solid for sheetmetal? Or are you setting up the maching with flux and then converting over to solid?
I was set up for flux, and used solid, it really was hard to get a good weld going. As I was just messing around with something someone had told me I just kept at it for a while, then I stripped the machine of the solid and put in some .30 flux, I was amazed at how easy it seamed to make a good weld, even on the sheet to 3/16 welds. After I was finished I reset the machine to solid polarity, put in the solid and gas and noticed I was really flying with the solid gas. I guess, I am not sure, but it gets you to really have to control. I mean just getting a arc to stay struck with no shield is hard, so once you do it a bit when you are shielded, wow it is a piece of cake.
I have been messing with welders for years and years, this was something a professional told me a long time ago was a way a hobbiest could stay in shape if he wanted some quick effective practice before doing a project that would be seen. I am about to move the front of the wheel wells back on my CJ5 to get room for my seats so I gave it a stab. really do not know what it does, but I know It really snapped me into shape fast and sometimes between times I weld I can get frustrated when first going back at what my beads look like. I am a bit of a anal retentive guy at times

Did the wife say it was ok to park him in the front yard?? :laugh:

Have you ever tried to weld a pressure or liquid tight container, preferably from sheet metal, steel, not thicker than 10 ga.?? With either hard wire of flux core, that will hold 5 PSI with out blowing soap bubbles in a leak test??
Size is of no relevance, 6"X6" give or take. Of course it would have to have a threaded fitting welded in for the air fitting.:cool:

I was just wondering.:rolleyes:
that is the back yard
wow, IO, I am going try that, sounds like fun

that is the back yard
wow, IO, I am going try that, sounds like fun

You could have several hours of fun with a totally useless project like this.

i am wondering if a mig or flux core will make a weld suitable for a home built fuel tank. I seem to recall that both do not make air tight welds but I can not confirm it any where so far. So I can con you into capping a piece of pipe and pressure testing it or I can buy a wire machine and i just don't have enough room in my shop for another welding machine right now. It is also evident that you are becoming quite competent in this skill and I think if the test failed we could rule out operator error and blame it all on the process.:cool:

I have modified a few motorcycle oil tanks using my Miller 252 wire feed and it works well as long as you don't stop mid seam. The stops and starts are where i find most pinholes and they can be taken care of with a little grinding and spot welding. Some guys also braze over the seams after welding with brass to take care of leaks found while pressure testing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom