plug wires.

plug wires.

coldwater

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
04 Grand, Dodge 2500 CTD, 78 CJ7
Need recommendations for GOOD wires.

i have autolites on mine i got from work. never had a problem with any of them. mine are 8mm but i also did the team rush to my jeep. msd, accel, and mallory have good wires if your looking for a performance wire.

I need high performance wires, stainless or spiral core. My electronics will blow a hole in a standard set.

I need high performance wires, stainless or spiral core. My electronics will blow a hole in a standard set.

Some how I think that is bragging...

Anyway, noting beats MSD plug wires.
I use this set for most 'street' and 'Trail' vehicles...
MSD Ignition 3119 - MSD Heli-Core Spark Plug Wire Sets

Cut to fit so they are ALWAYS the correct size,
Come with boots/terminals that you can keep stright or bend through 90 degrees,
Come with stainless steel locking rings on the terminals that 'Snap' connect to the terminals,

Come with both sets of boots ('HEI' and socket) and they have good instructions, cutting/stripping/crimping tool included, and will hold back an MSD 7 CDI module without issue...
(About 4 times the amperage of standard single fire ignitions)

If you think you need something a little bigger, the MSD red 8.5mm wires will hold back MSD 7 and MSD 8 CDI modules,
(Roughly 10 times the amperage of standard ignitions)

No, not bragging. It's no brand new state of the art super space age top secret racing device designed to make my Jeep better than everyone elses. It's just the same old Jacobs system I installed 12 years ago that will blow a hole through any wire that touches metal at any point. The 9mm Jacobs wires are shot, and I just needed a suitable replacement. Sorry If It sounded like I was bragging.

LOL - I used to have the same problem on our race setup. Dam plug wires would arc right through the sheath!

Just did the MSD plug wires stated above. Piece of cake and big difference (with all the other MSD stuff Team Rush suggested; Adapt a cap, wires, coil, cap and rotor). Never cut my own before and was simple.

No, not bragging. It's no brand new state of the art super space age top secret racing device designed to make my Jeep better than everyone elses. It's just the same old Jacobs system I installed 12 years ago that will blow a hole through any wire that touches metal at any point. The 9mm Jacobs wires are shot, and I just needed a suitable replacement. Sorry If It sounded like I was bragging.

That's too much VOLTAGE...
You only need about 30,000 volts to fire ANY gasoline engine...
It only takes about 45,000 volts to fire even the most contrary 'Exotic' fuel system,
Alcohol, Propane, extra lean, ect...

So any ignition that throws 50,000 to 75,000 volts at the plugs is just wasting AMPERAGE (since you can't make BOTH Voltage & Amperage)...
And it's AMPERAGE that actually gets the job done...

Keep the plug gaps down around 0.040" to 0.045" and the coil discharge voltages will stay reasonable, and you should be fine...

I guess.... Maybe It's just some old junk technology, but it insists on being run on good wires. I'll just get another set of Jacobs cables, I only asked because the lead time was so long on them for delivery. It has run flawlessly for the 12 years it has been in, so I see no reason to scrap it to spend hundreds of dollars for something with less amps or voltage.

There is nothing wrong with Jacobs (they are quite good), and it works great for you. I would just get some MSD wires and run it for another 12 years... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks