Paint Sprayer

Paint Sprayer

jeepy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
75-CJ-5
Stretched to 98 inches. SOA. Dana 44's, Lockers, 350 TPI, Hydro assist steering, 4 wheel disc.
Since I am in the mood to get my Jeep painted, I thought I might try and be friendlier to our environment and get an HVLP spray gun. I have used the old LVHP sprayers, and seem to have come to the conclusion that for us "average Joe" painters, there isn't really a need to spend a lot of money for that style spray gun. Would the same hold true for these newer HVLP guns? Is there something I should look for when I purchase one? I have not sprayed with one of these yet, so if you have used one at all, you are ahead of me.
Do you thin the paint about the same?
Maybe the new ones have a "no run" setting!

There are 2 different kinds of HVLP. One hooks to an air compressor like a conventional gun and the other hooks up to a turbine.

One rule for using either one that you use, don't make adjustments like you did with a conventinal gun. Definately practise with it. you do have better control of the paint, but it is much slower than a conventional gun.

More thinning is requiered, depending on the paint, there may be special reducers for HVLP. Ask the supplier for a product data sheet. It will usually give good info on what needs to be done to spray with a variety of sprayers.

the HVLP guns require A LOT of air, thats the high volume part. Be sure you have a big enough compressor. the little 5 CFM ain't gonna cut it.:cool:

Thanks for the tips.
My compressor puts out 11.8 at 40 psi, 10 at 90. Is that sufficient use or will I have to give it breaks to catch up like I would on some sanders?

What PSI do I start with.

Also, you say there are no adjustments. Do I control it all with air pressure?

Last edited:
If you are going to use your air compressor for your HVLP then your gun looks similar to a conventional gun. It does have adjustments on the gun, what I was trying to say is that the adjustments you would make to fine tune a conventional gun is not so with an HVLP. Most people that I have sold an HVLP gun were unhappy. They tried to use the HVLP like a conventional gun. You have to throw out your conventional gun habits and start over.

As far as the compressor is concerned, the larger the tank the better. You will be moving a lot of air, so it will empty the tank quickly. the turbine style has its own air supply.

If the compressor is not running, then I guess cfm of the compressor is not a concern. When you pull the trigger, you just drain the tank. Obviously a better compressor will refill the tank quicker, and possibly even keep up with the demand if it is capable. Obviously a bigger tank is better.
So with a 60 gallon tank and an 11 cfm compressor, will that keep up reasonably well with a gravity fed HVLP gun? Or will it be really annoying as it is when I try to operate my Dual Action Sander.

I also met a guy who painted street rods with nothing but $25.00 gravity guns that he picks up at flea markets. I do not know how to contact him for advice. But one of my original questions to folks here was if there really was much difference between cheap and expensive guns.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've seen cars painted with Wagner power sprayers you'd find at lowes.
The quality comes in prep and practice.
Ever see that hotrod mag article on the rolled paint job.
It's all in the prep!

But I prefer the turbine type it's easy and cheap to use.
Also look into the water based paints!

When my Binks #7 wears out, maybe I'll try a HVLP. . .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks