OEM hood latch latches or hood pins opinion

OEM hood latch latches or hood pins opinion

yellow85cj

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7, 258,4.0 head, T177, D300, Dana 30, AMC 20, 3.54
Have a fiberglass hood and no hood latch, just the side latches.
They have always scared me a bit as they just don't seem too solid.

So found these hood lock pins. Then would leave the OEM latches for looks.

https://www.polyperformance.com/exterior/body-fender-hardware/hood-pins

Or fab a "beefier" side of side latches. Like these. The Heim joint turnbuckle part can be found for $15 each, then fab the holders from some square stock tube. $150 is a bit rich for me.

Drake Off Road Locking Hood Hold Downs - Pair - JP-190021-LK

Opinions?

I think the later is the better choice and it stays with the Jeep convention. I'm wondering about the real hood latch. The latch that is the really holds the hood down on the later model Jeeps. Not sure when they started that, but that is the best device.

If It were me I'd cut a slot in the fiberglass where the stock hood latch goes, then reinforce it with steel strong enough for it to last. Then you'd be largely stock looking with the added safety of the catch/latch.

If It were me I'd cut a slot in the fiberglass where the stock hood latch goes, then reinforce it with steel strong enough for it to last. Then you'd be largely stock looking with the added safety of the catch/latch.

Exactly what I have with my glass hood. The hole does not look great, but it is on the underside. No one sees it until the hood is lifted.

Do you still have the stock hood latch?

You can find a hood latch in the bone-yard.
I would run a washer behind the attachment points as a doubler to reduce strain on the f'glass.
The big issue with the hood pins is the fact our body and hood flex like crazy and I don't see much room to allow that movement.
The other item is over-kill.
Respectfully,
LG

I'm wondering about the real hood latch. The latch that is the really holds the hood down on the later model Jeeps.

Had a bad experience when I was about 11. Involved a long narrow 4 lane bridge that looked like it went straight up then straight down, at rush hour, a mother that was deathly afraid of high places and a 62 Impala hood. To this day I am a bit skeptical about old hood latches. At least newer autos have a second catch.

Lumpy Grits - The other item is over-kill. I think you are right.

gr8dain/Hedgehog -stock hood latch- thought about this. Only thing is that I don't have one and CJ's don't exist in pick n pulls around here. Wouldn't have a clue what other car /truck to use.

And, the cross brace was separating from the hood. Re-glassed it, but ...

gr8dain - have a pic of what the hood catch looks like?

Had a bad experience when I was about 11. Involved a long narrow 4 lane bridge that looked like it went straight up then straight down, at rush hour, a mother that was deathly afraid of high places and a 62 Impala hood. To this day I am a bit skeptical about old hood latches. At least newer autos have a second catch.

Lumpy Grits - The other item is over-kill. I think you are right.

gr8dain/Hedgehog -stock hood latch- thought about this. Only thing is that I don't have one and CJ's don't exist in pick n pulls around here. Wouldn't have a clue what other car /truck to use.

And, the cross brace was separating from the hood. Re-glassed it, but ...

gr8dain - have a pic of what the hood catch looks like?

I will take a pic of mine today.

You should not have trouble getting one through the forum or facebook. Just gotta ask. Plenty of people have parts laying around.

Have a fiberglass hood and no hood latch, just the side latches.
They have always scared me a bit as they just don't seem too solid.

The side latches hole the hood in place. The center latch is a backup safety latch - it will let the hood come up a bit before it grabs........ it's a good thing to have so when you take off after forgetting to hook the side latches your hood won't fly up and smack your windshield at 35 - 40 mph. Ask me how I know this :eek:

I have an extra hood latch I will send you for the cost of shipping. Will try to dig it out this weekend. Shoot me an address and I'll get it headed your way.

I have a fiberglass hood as well, and someone cut a slot in the bottom for the safety latch - just not in the correct spot...... so I will be adding a steel plate as well. Cut a clean slot then align it so it actually works.

R

(Hey Peanut Butter - does this count, or do I hafta post it first???) LOL

The external spring hood hold downs are what really hold the hood in place.:cool: The secondary latch behind the grill is a 'safety' and not under load unless the outside spring latches fail.
The secondary latch was mandated by DOT for all vehicles made after a certain date.;)
LG

Sorry. Time got away from me. Here are pics. The PO put the metal catch on the underside of the hood. Hard to get pics of the latch.

81c27c2eaa914047f061446f0c2a5908.jpg

889e5ad7ce2392a8013f80a2fa5e00d4.jpg

7725c547baf4deb74fe6f99cd88585c5.jpg

I would use a jigsaw to make a nice clean cut with no over runs. Probably won't make any difference, but would look better. Is the long rectangular hole the right one or is the one with the catch the right one? I think I know, but....

The catch attached to the hood is not OEM at all.
The latch in the grill faring is OEM and identical to mine.
BTW: Move the fuel filter AWAY from the exhaust header. That location has been the source of many engine fires from dried out/rot'd rubber lines dripping fuel onto the hot exhaust manifold.

LG

Good idea LG. Thanks. And I never even assumed that catch was OEM. But it works. At least I have never had to test the secondary latch so I don't know if it would work in an emergency.

The longer hole to the left is for the clearance of my radiator cap. I had to do that when I added my Champion aluminum radiator a few years ago

The external spring hood hold downs are what really hold the hood in place.:cool: The secondary latch behind the grill is a 'safety' and not under load unless the outside spring latches fail.
The secondary latch was mandated by DOT for all vehicles made after a certain date.;)
LG

Good explanation LG. my 1969 has the second latch in center under hood.I think this is the first year of that design..Also think the hood prop rod came about at this time. mike

I once got on the road with my latches disconnected, and the safety latch did not last long. I would suggest putting a stronger spring in place of the existing spring just to make sure.

(Hey Peanut Butter - does this count, or do I hafta post it first???) LOL

I like that, but doesn't look like you have any takers. How about a Laredo, Renegade, Scrambler, type sticker for a hood?

I can do that - just depends on the colors I have...... but given time to get the closest color match, definitely doable....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a bad experience when I was about 11. Involved a long narrow 4 lane bridge that looked like it went straight up then straight down, at rush hour, a mother that was deathly afraid of high places and a 62 Impala hood. To this day I am a bit skeptical about old hood latches.

Ha - I had about the same experience at about the same age. My mom's volvo hood flew up and broke off while on the road. She pulled over and me and my brother ran back and got it. We threw it on the roof and drove home with each of us holding onto it on either side. My dad cut up some threaded rod and from then on we had to bolt the hood down.

I've been lucky, only time I ever had the latches let go the jeep was on a trailer.
A backup that someone suggested in another site was to install a traditional hood pin upside down in the hood brace so that it runs down through the core support/ grill. That way you can reach the release pin easily but is not noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks