Trans Noisy T150 under load only

Trans Noisy T150 under load only

Trever

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5, 258 30over, T150, D30 front, AMC20 rear, Sniper EFI, 4.88 gears, Detroit Locker in front, OX locker in rear, 33" tires, beadlocks
Owned my '78 CJ5 since 2007. I have rebuilt my T-150 before (rebuild master kit). She has been a garage queen for the last 8 years, since moving to FL from TN. Trans has been pretty loud for a long time. However, I think I have narrowed the noise down to while under load. When I let off the gas (still in gear), it goes quiet. I just pull the T-150 all apart, but don't see any signs of an issue (I am just a backyard mechanic). I modified the transfer case some years ago as well and put the terra-low, low range kit in it (so I guess the noise could be from the transfer case). Does anyone know what I should look for in the T-150 that would make noise under load, but not while coasting? BTW (I going to install another rebuild kit in the T-150, although everything looks/feels good). I'm also replacing all the clutch components, but I don't suspect the noise is from this area, but I could be wrong.

:welcome:

Just backyard mechanic huh? If you installed a terra-low and rebuilt the T-150 you got some skills... :chug:

Do you have the same issue in 4H? I would closely inspect the bearings and the back side of the gears. Does this happen in all three gears?

:welcome:

Just backyard mechanic huh? If you installed a terra-low and rebuilt the T-150 you got some skills... :chug:

Do you have the same issue in 4H? I would closely inspect the bearings and the back side of the gears. Does this happen in all three gears?
I never put it in 4H. Yes, it's noisy in all 3 gears.

I never put it in 4H. Yes, it's noisy in all 3 gears.
Noisy in all gears sounds like bearings, either the front input or rear output bearing. Testing in 2H vs. 4H or 4L should help diagnose whether it's the tranny or the transfer case. If transfer case, noise should sound different in 2 vs 4 wheel drive (usually). If tranny, should sound the same regardless of transfer case gear. No chance it's a rear diff, since you already rebuilt the tranny recently?

Is the tranny still in the CJ and can you drive it?
It was out. Needed to repair/replace clutch (new flywheel, clutch, throw out bearing, etc...) so, since we had to take the T-150 out anyway, I just tore it all down and put a master rebuild kit in it again.(everything looked good inside, so probably did not need take it apart, but, until I did, I didn't know for sure). I did not take apart the t-case. Just took a small drive down the street this evening, after putting everything back together. I will need to take a longer drive to know for sure if anything got quieter. Thanks for the input. I will give an update in the coming weeks.

Where'd you get the kit from? Happen to notice who made the bearings?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks