Engine No oil to my oil filter, whattsup?

Engine No oil to my oil filter, whattsup?

jonboy1919

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 Renegade, 304cid, MC 2150 Carb, TH400 tranny, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 front w/lock right, Dana 44 rear w/truetrack locker, 33x12.5 Goodrich's, Warn 8k, onboard air, Motorcraft TFI ignition upgrade, WipeBoy wiper upgrade, Painless wiring harness, backup lamps, Driving lamps, YJ brake booster and MC upgrade swap, Rear tow hitch
I've got a 1979 CJ7 with a 304 AMC engine. Since day one of owning this Jeep (March 2011) no motor oil ever goes through the oil filter. I do have good oil pressure though and have had zero problems with this engine. I'm never going to claim to be a decent engine mechanic, but given the proper fix information, I can get the job done. What is going on here and how do I get my FRAM filter oily?

Sounds to me like the oil filter bypass valve is stuck/faulty. This is made up of a spring, crush washer, and a retainer in the oil filter adaptor body on your timing cover (see the pic). Pop off the oil filter adaptor body and examine both the oil pressure relief assembly and the oil filter bypass assembly and you should find your issue. Some people simply block off the bypass (plugs are sold online) and then use oil filters that have a built-in bypass feature. I'd rather fix the issue, but that's up to you. You certainly need oil going through the filter to keep your engine safe.

Oil-Filter-AMC-V8.jpg

I would be curious to know how you determined no oil is going thru the filter. If you take it off is it dry? My 304 when I got it the oil relief was stuck solid. It had many other problems so everything went back in new. I would definitely ditch that FRAM filter and go with WIX or NAPA Gold which is also WIX.

I would be curious to know how you determined no oil is going thru the filter. If you take it off is it dry? My 304 when I got it the oil relief was stuck solid. It had many other problems so everything went back in new. I would definitely ditch that FRAM filter and go with WIX or NAPA Gold which is also WIX.
The oil filter is bone dry and Fram was just a pull of any brand to explain my issue.

The first response by TSB8C is very helpful and most probably the answer. I have yet to get under my CJ and fix. When the weather goes sour, I’ll have the time to do it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks