New PS pump not bleeding?

New PS pump not bleeding?

JohnKcj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ5, 304, 4 speed, AMC 20 w/solid axles, 3:73 Motive gears, Eaton TrueTrac LSD's, WARN 8274, 3" lift, 33" ProComp M/T's
So I installed a new Borgeson PS pump. I put the front end in the air and did the left/right bleed procedure at least 100 times. There is NO power steering at low idle. It starts working around 1,500rpm, but it's sort of twitchy. Took it for a spin around the block and it's no better. Something isn't right. Before I send the pump back, does anyone have any tricks? Am I missing something?

I should note that the fitting on the back of the pump wouldn't work with my hose, so I took the fitting off the old pump and used it. They seem to be identical except for the depth for the hose fitting. My hose has the long tube with the o-ring on the end. Maybe I need a new hose?

I did the same thing with my pump don’t worry about hose, you would have to change your ps box, is the pulley the same diameter as the old one? Sounds like it’s spinning to slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same thing with my pump don’t worry about hose, you would have to change your ps box, is the pulley the same diameter as the old one? Sounds like it’s spinning to slow

New pulley is the same diameter. Could the belt be slipping without squealing?
What's the proper tension? Between the PS and water pump, I can spring about 5/8" play.

New pulley is the same diameter. Could the belt be slipping without squealing?

What's the proper tension? Between the PS and water pump, I can spring about 5/8" play.

Yes it could be slipping

That’s a good way to rule out the belt give that a try

Sounds like a bad pump to me. Where did you get it?

Sounds like a bad pump to me. Where did you get it?

Summit Racing. Like I said, no belt noise. It just seems like a loose belt would squeal. Best I can tell, the belt tension is like it was before I took it off. It's at least as tight as the alternator belt.

Send it back, and go to your local NAPA and get one there.
LG

Send it back, and go to your local NAPA and get one there.
LG

Well, Summit put another one in the mail this morning. If this one is junk, I'll try NAPA.
I'll follow up for the next poor guy that runs into a similar issue.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks