Need a sanity check - toss in the towel or rebuild it completely?

Need a sanity check - toss in the towel or rebuild it completely?

DCockayne

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 CJ-5
'84 CJ-7
I need a sanity check even though I'm expecting that this might end up an even split. Here's my situation:

I've got a '77 CJ5 that has a really solid undercarriage, Dana 44's, ARB lockers, T-18 trans and a 304 V8. But I had always wished it was a CJ7. So I started thinking I'd buy a CJ7 that needed some upgrading, and swap all the good bits out of the 5 into the 7.

So I bought an '84 CJ7 out of California a couple years ago. Didn't spend a ton on it initially, but when it arrived I realized I'd been the victim of some very strategic photography. The motor (I-6 258) is spent. Transmission is a T5. Everything leaked oil. But to begin with, I was still optimistic - right up until I figured out the CJ5 axles were narrower than the CJ7. I know - I should have researched that before I got myself into this, but sometimes we learn that sort of stuff after it's too late to do any good. So anyway, I can't move my stout Dana 44's over to the CJ7.

But what really screwed the pooch is that the CJ7 appears to have taken a substantial hit on the passenger side frame rail in the front, basically shoving it back out of line with the drivers side by about an inch. Then some dude with a welder just relocated the spring hangers on the passenger side to get the axles roughly parallel. This put some pretty major twist into the body. Under the carpet in the rear by the tailgate, things are rumpled up, the passenger side is sort of flexed in out of square, etc. It's a real hack job of a repair.

So, the summary of what I have that is good right now is this:

CJ5 Transmission and Axles are in fine shape. Chomolly axles in the Dana 44's, new ARB Air Locker in the rear and fresh seals. Engine probably could stand a rebuild but isn't horrible. Added a Holley Projection TBI system to that 304 a while back along with new headers. The Holley is a bit overly sensitive so when off road you have to be very gentle with the right foot, but it does keep it from every flooding when climbing something or getting on a tilt.

On the CJ7, I have new seats, new Old Man Emu springs and shocks, and a Tuffy console. Oh, and the steering wheel is in good shape.

That's about the sum of everything I would consider to be "keepers" for a full restoration of either / both of these.

The CJ5 could use a new tub. Needs new seats, paint and as I said, probably a rebuild on the 304.

The CJ7 needs a frame, a new tub I think (not sure how to salvage the "unsquare" one), front fenders (might could salvage what's on there but they are a bit dinged up in front) windshield frame (has one wiper that looks like it had a washer spot welded into place to fix some problem) and heck, while we're at it, might as well put a new hood on. If I do this, I'd be getting a V-8 and Transmission conversion from Novak.

So basically, the CJ7 is at the point where I'd basically be building a fully new Jeep from parts.
If I junked or parted out the 7, I could use the seats over in the CJ5 but still have the tub to deal with. And at the end of the day, I still wouldn't have the CJ7 I wanted.

So I sat down in front of ebay motors the other night and looked through all the restored CJ5's and CJ7's that are listed. Many are asking north of $30K for frame off restores. Running the tally of parts just roughly for the CJ7, I came up with about $16K in parts.

I'm not afraid of the work to do this, what I'm worried about is the unknowns. Like the tubs. I see the Omix tubs out there but mostly hear you all talk of them with a certain amount of disdain. Are they any good? I trust most of the rest of the vendors I'm building the parts list with, seems like the guys at Novak know there stuff. I even found the project CJ7 that they have a video of on their home page up for sale currently, and that guy is asking over $30K for that rig after putting 10-15K miles on the conversion.

So, anyone see any way out of this quagmire that I'm missing? Should I just parts the whole mess out and go lick my wounds? Should I roll my sleeves up and dig out the credit card?

If at the end I have two well restored Jeeps and I sell at least one to recoup some of my expenses, does that seem logical or pie in the sky dreaming?

Do I need therapy???

Therapy ? No ! I would say it all depends on your budget. Going to be expensive to fix either or both. Maybe even far more than buying one nice 7 and unloading the others. There may be some tuff times coming for people ahead and if you keep your eyes open you might find a good deal out there.

It sounds like going through either (or both) will be a fair amount of work and money. Personally, if a 7 is what you desire, consider selling the 5 to help fund going through the 7 you have, or getting another one. If you got another 7 (presumably in better condition ;) ) you can use the current 7 for a parts rig, then sell off what you dont use. To keep the voices in my head to a quiet murmur, I try and start with what my planned end use/goal is with any vehicle before starting/buying stuff. Equally important questions:
Tolerant wife?
Place to tear it down and work on it for a long time?
Expendable income to throw at it ?
Did I mention tolerant wife?

If you answer no to any of those, then yes on therapy

As someone 2 years into the throws of a rebuild resto, be very generous with what you budget. If you have a personality like me, stuff that you thought you’d except in a certain condition changes when you have newer, cleaner parts around it, you’ll rethink your parts list over and over and change your mind and maybe change your plans.

Body work is expensive!!!! Unless you’re willing to except a lot of bondo and willing to try to “seal, encapsulate, etc” rust, it’s lots and lots of labor. You’ll blast a tub, think you’re good and then when you dig out all the seam sealer, you’ll find rust. Blast a dash panel and you find rust under the rolled edge seams, etc.

There’s quite a few decent frames out there with patience and I don’t think they’re quite the Pandora’s box as tubs.

Plant the money tree and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like going through either (or both) will be a fair amount of work and money. Personally, if a 7 is what you desire, consider selling the 5 to help fund going through the 7 you have, or getting another one. If you got another 7 (presumably in better condition ;) ) you can use the current 7 for a parts rig, then sell off what you dont use. To keep the voices in my head to a quiet murmur, I try and start with what my planned end use/goal is with any vehicle before starting/buying stuff. Equally important questions:
Tolerant wife?
Place to tear it down and work on it for a long time?
Expendable income to throw at it ?
Did I mention tolerant wife?

If you answer no to any of those, then yes on therapy

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm doing, trying to rationalize the use of the thing and go from there. No wife to hassle me though, and the CJ7 is already taking up half the garage so that's ok. Expendable income - well, that's part of the issue. Don't mind spending the money if I can recoup some of it at a later date. Just trying to figure out how tall the stack of $100's will have to be...

There is a part of me that's saying "Just find another 7 to start with" but then the logical part of my brain says "Dude, you already got burned once... And NO, you don't need to have 3 Jeeps sitting around..."

As someone 2 years into the throws of a rebuild resto, be very generous with what you budget. If you have a personality like me, stuff that you thought you’d except in a certain condition changes when you have newer, cleaner parts around it, you’ll rethink your parts list over and over and change your mind and maybe change your plans.

Body work is expensive!!!! Unless you’re willing to except a lot of bondo and willing to try to “seal, encapsulate, etc” rust, it’s lots and lots of labor. You’ll blast a tub, think you’re good and then when you dig out all the seam sealer, you’ll find rust. Blast a dash panel and you find rust under the rolled edge seams, etc.

There’s quite a few decent frames out there with patience and I don’t think they’re quite the Pandora’s box as tubs.

Plant the money tree and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speaking of bondo, just dug in a little deeper on the CJ7 and it's got a rear end full of bondo. I'll post a picture or two, but it got crunched pretty back in the back below the tailgate and there's a TON of bondo that was slapped in there. Grrrr...

Recoup ! Recoup ! Good luck with that. Ok you get back plenty of enjoyment.. Probably with land you will get money back.

Convincing the wife is most of the battle, so you are winning that one. It seems like the current 7 might be best served sold to the next guy, and look for a better platform to start. Noticed a few 80's 7's advertised for sale here (SoCal) in the $5-7k range, and a couple of V8 70's era as well.

Just an update. I did a lot of work over the last couple of weekends to fully assess the condition of the tub. Turns out it's a mess of bondo! And I'm finding as I measure and probe that the entire tub is just sort of kinked out of shape, which manifests itself in a bunch of different areas. It's beyond my ability to fix for sure. I did check with Jay at Willy's Overland and watched his video on how they fix up the Omix tubs. Sounds like a genuine guy who knows his stuff and makes a pretty compelling argument for buying a tub from him. Last piece of the puzzle for me will be the amount to budget for drivetrain. I've reached out to the guys at Novak for some information in that direction. Once all the numbers are in, I'll make the finally decision. If anyone cares to have a look, I've been putting the progress up on my youtube channel.

Haven't given this much thought, but seems pretty simple to me. Unless you want two Jeeps, scrap the 7 and find another one. It's a loss. It is what it is and it's water under the bridge. You can analyze it for years and when you're done you find that it's what it is today - it's just a bad deal. You can find a straight, decent tub 7 a reasonable price if you can wait a bit. Move everything you love from the 5 to the 7. You cannot sell that 5 or the parts for anywhere near what it will take to buy new for the 7.

Id have to be sane myself to assess your sanity. About a year ago I rolled my 80 while I was gathering parts to rebuild it. Since then I sold just about everything except the rust free frame and some small items. Then a guy at work offered me a free soft top that had been sitting in his garage for years. As it turns out its slate blue and now Im building a whole Jeep around it. 😂 In my defense the top cleaned up pretty nice. 😄

Im probably the wrong guy to assess anyones sanity when it comes to Jeeps.

1108201627.jpg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: 007
~~~ I did check with Jay at Willy's Overland and watched his video on how they fix up the Omix tubs. Sounds like a genuine guy who knows his stuff and makes a pretty compelling argument for buying a tub from him. ~~~
I bought a Willy's Ov tub that was a rejig of Omix. Best purchase ever. Got to specify what holes I want and where.

Id have to be sane myself to assess your sanity. About a year ago I rolled my 80 while I was gathering parts to rebuild it. Since then I sold just about everything except the rust free frame and some small items. Then a guy at work offered me a free soft top that had been sitting in his garage for years. As it turns out its slate blue and now Im building a whole Jeep around it. 😂 In my defense the top cleaned up pretty nice. 😄

Im probably the wrong guy to assess anyones sanity when it comes to Jeeps.

View attachment 74100
*laughs* I'm about at the point where my project will/would start with a good steering wheel...

I bought a Willy's Ov tub that was a rejig of Omix. Best purchase ever. Got to specify what holes I want and where.
Good to know. I for sure will need something from them, the CJ5 if it's going to be brought back to full glory will need a tub at minimum.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks