My antique engine

My antique engine

Posi

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch
Anyone else interested in old engines?

Last week I picked up a McCormick-Deering 2.5 HP engine. I haven't pin down the build year yet but figure around 1923-27

The engine hasn't run in several years so I drained and cleaned the fuel tank, went through the electrical system which consist of an ignition magneto, spark plug wire, and spark plug. I greased the bearings and oiled the cylinder, all oiling is done manually. The engine is all cast iron and weighs around 500lbs.

A video of the first starting attempt. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfMSTfhZKI

I don't have one, But I love those old engines. If I didn't have so many hobbies now, I would probably have one or two. At the local fair that I go to, You can always find me hanging around with the antique people.

We have a show a couple times a year at our local airport this is where I became interested in stationary engines . Along with the McCormick-Deering I also picked up a 1921 Ottawa 3.5hp, and 1920 Novo 3hp. The lot was too good a price to pass up. The Ottawa was purchased new by the sellers grandfather.

Is that what they call a Hit & Miss engine? Great fun to see the old technology still alive like that. It reminds me of the old John Deer tractor my neighbors had. Big flywheel similar sputter wheezing sound and the old girl got the job done around the farm too. Of course I haven't seen that tractor in 30 years, it was beautifully taken care of then so I'm sure it's still around somewhere.

That's exactly what they're referred to as Hedge. NICE Posi!

Keep an oil can handy and keep it wet. That one seems to run very well. Heck they'd come apart if they hit every time they were suppose to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,

I rebuilt the fuel pump on my 1925 3HP McCormick-Deering after I found one of the two check balls stuck causing a no fuel issue.

IMG_21991_zpsbltirxog.png

IMG_22021_zpsxgoay2e6.png

The PO purchased a new rocker arm but never installed it (the original one had a repair that didn't hold up).
I noticed the new one didn't have a pin to hold the rocker spring.

New on left
IMG_22131_zpsn8nwp27p.png

I made a pin from the end of a u-bolt strap.

IMG_22161_zpsrd1hu6td.png

Knocked off the rust

IMG_21921_zpsrpljqsvk.png

IMG_22271_zpsv90oeihu.png

Update,
I had a fuel delivery problem with my McCormick-Deering 3hp engine
Pulled the tank and found a blocked pickup tube
Also noticed someone had previously replaced the tank
Has a price tag, but their going for $70-$80 now.

IMG_27811_zpsjdylszuk.png

Pickup tube

IMG_27831_zpslwogqnb5.png

IMG_27861_zpspygkjusx.png

After cleaning

IMG_27871_zps0kne1ugx.png

Threw some bolts in the tank to clean it out, then flushed with fresh gas.

IMG_27881_zpszkuypmaa.png

Also cleaned the mixer (carb) and set the valve, and ignition timing.

The engine can now run all day long if I choose, running smooth, and steady, not bad for an almost 91 year old engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQMzrwPFhjk

I am completely fascinated by old engines like this and old steam engines. Awesome thread :chug:

Started working on my 1921 Ottawa 3.5HP hit or miss engine.
Been sitting about 7 years or longer.
The carb isn't original to the engine it's a gravity fed with a float.
It's a Schebler carb, simple, well respected, with a long history of trouble free use.
Mostly used in marine engines.
Technically it's a Schebler knock-off made by Monarch Valve company in NY.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]George Schebler 1911 ca

96589.jpg

96587.jpg

96588.jpg

I removed the carb for inspection and cleaning. Note the solid tube at the bottom of the bowl. This is a fuel adjustment needle you would turn in for less fuel and out for more.

37266747471_59818635b3_c.jpg

I found the cork float to be in bad shape (most likely original)
I ordered a new one that should be in Monday or Tuesday.

37011238940_7e99e3eb2e_c.jpg

37011222970_064d1e8161_c.jpg

37011204210_1f40faeef8_c.jpg

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I learned about the catsup trick many years ago in my boating dayz.
LG

Never knew the catsup trick, good info!

37011222970_064d1e8161_c.jpg

37011204210_1f40faeef8_c.jpg

[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Now hold up a second...... ketchup did THAT? I need to leave the house more often.... Removes grease? Rust? What all does it work on?

Heinz Catsup. Naval Jelly, before there was Naval Jelly....

Now hold up a second...... ketchup did THAT? I need to leave the house more often.... Removes grease? Rust? What all does it work on?
Ketchup, tomato paste is acetic and will clean brass. In my case the carb was very dirty so first I put it in my parts cleaner to remove the engine oil and dirt. I then spread ketchup on all the brass parts and let it sit for an hour. It cleaned the brass, but not as good as you see in the last pic. I then used tomato paste and let it sit for an hour. After an hour I use some steel wool then soap and water to where you see it in the last pic. I found the tomato paste worked better then the ketchup maybe because the ketchup was watered down a bit.

Again, the carb was heavily tarnished any lightly tarnished household brass should clean up fairly well with one application.

Besides what Hack mentioned, lemon juice with a bit of salt or baking soda (used as an abrasive) or white vinegar work good as well.

Rust on chrome, coke and aluminum foil work great at cleaning rusted chrome.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f73/better-use-coke-pepsi-26548/

After rebuilding the Schebler carb I went through the engine and cart as well. I also built an engine cradle.

38648778732_d18ab47dc9_c.jpg

1921 Ottawa 3.5HP

37962999864_cf433ea1be_c.jpg

Anyone else interested in old engines?

Last week I picked up a McCormick-Deering 2.5 HP engine. I haven't pin down the build year yet but figure around 1923-27

The engine hasn't run in several years so I drained and cleaned the fuel tank, went through the electrical system which consist of an ignition magneto, spark plug wire, and spark plug. I greased the bearings and oiled the cylinder, all oiling is done manually. The engine is all cast iron and weighs around 500lbs.

A video of the first starting attempt. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyfMSTfhZKI
I just wet my pants! That was the bestvideo I’ve seen in a very long time!

Good to hear you enjoyed it.

I finished my Ottawa but haven't had time to do the first startup.

I'll take a video when that time comes.

I also had a 1925 Novo but I sold it before I took a video of it running. However, the buyer did send me a video.

icon_10_generic_list.png 20160423_130557.mp4

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks