MSD blaster coil popped

MSD blaster coil popped

Basod

Active Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7, 258, T4, D300, D30, AMC20, 3.54 gears
Went to orient the Jeep under my lifting beam in preps to tear down the bottom end - no spark.
I just put a new dizzy in and set timing last week it was running fine. Was looking around and noticed everything kind of wet thought it was condensation as it’s really humid.
Then a checked the wetness- it’s a light oil. Look a little closer and the top of the coil is popped. Installed back in September/October. Only other thing I’ve done to affect it recently was remove the ballast wire
465569567db34d62773536374a9ffadd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that’s a trip

Only other thing I’ve done to affect it recently was remove the ballast wire.

There's your root cause. I had the same result years ago after bypassing a failed ballast resistor.

First one I've seen.
Been run'n a MSD ign and coil for over 15 yrs now.
Gary

There's your root cause. I had the same result years ago after bypassing a failed ballast resistor.

Yeah that's the first thing I assumed, though I was assured in the Team Rush upgrade the ballast wire could be eliminated.
Some web research claims that rotor phasing and poor ground from head to block can cause the coil to absorb the spark energy and overheat.
Ballast wire has been removed for a couple weeks but maybe 70-80 miles and some idling time while setting timing.

I'll double check all the ignition wiring and verify its not some intermittent deal where my ignition is not shutting off.

We'll see if NAPA honors a replacement on it

I have exactly 12.0 volts at my coil. What is your reading at the positive post?

Just a shade under battery voltage 12.3. It was 5.75 with the ballast wire. I never checked when running but I’d assume 13.8 alternator voltage.
Ordered a new high vibration coil, be interested to see how warm it gets.

Yeah that's the first thing I assumed, though I was assured in the Team Rush upgrade the ballast wire could be eliminated.

You may have to compare the resistance values on the primary side of both coils. The original coil may be ok while the msd flows too much current.

For context, my experience was with points on a sbc. I had the dwell maxed out for the most rpm potential.

You may have to compare the resistance values on the primary side of both coils. The original coil may be ok while the msd flows too much current.

For context, my experience was with points on a sbc. I had the dwell maxed out for the most rpm potential.

This just happened to me: took out the hall effect sensor on the dizzy and the module.

I ripped out the duraspark setup completely and put in a DUI HEI. i'm much happier with it.

Attachments

• coil-blown.jpg
    coil-blown.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 25
I was on the verge of buying a HEI but after reading a couple posts from JeepHammer on the other forum I figured I’d root out something.

Had + to coil but the negative to battery proved open double checked at the dizzy- good then check at the ICM connector good. So a bad ICM. I kept my old one and had tried it the other day with no luck but then remembered in my haste that the nutter bypass orange purple wires needed swapped over- Doh

It fired but a little hard then adjusted timing back in and it purs. I’ll get another ICM coming as this old one was leaking goo.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks