More new tools

derf

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas4spd/D44/9" - In Progress
1984 GW - 360/TF727/NP229/D44/M23 - NP242 swap in progress
1986 J10 - 360/TF727/NP208/D44/D60 - 700R4 upgrade in the works
So I have a bolt broken off in the frame. It's one of the steering box bracket bolts. It's rusted in pretty good. I thought "Hey, I'll use an easy-out and get it right out of there."

WRONG!

The :censored: easy-out snapped right off without any real effort. Now I have to get the bolt out with the core filled with hardened steel. Regular drill bits are no use. :bang: I tried welding a nut to the top of the bolt but it just twists right off.

Went to the toy store (Steve's Wholesale Tools) over lunch today and asked them what they thought. He asks "you got a Dremel tool? Try these." He says they will take a while to get through a bolt since they're small but they'll get the job done. So as soon as I get home from my long weekend vacation I'll be digging out a rusted in bolt just a little at a time.

Attachments

• diamondburr.jpg
    diamondburr.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 148
Well, it took 3 hours and I killed a couple of those burrs in the process but the tip of the easy out came out and I was able to drill out the rest of the bolt and pull the threads. Ran a tap through the captive nut and all is well. The steering bracket is back on the Jeep.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks