Build Thread Mike's '67 cj5 ongoing restoration

mstar

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1969 cj5 v6
2004 tj sahara
1971 cj5 renegade II
I have been working on the 67 the last month cleaning frame,welding unwanted extra holes in firewall,installed dual reservoir master cylinder kit that I bought from 'HERMTHEOVERDRIVEGUY" about two years ago.replaced all brake lines and relocated brake light switch.Also cleaning up the wiring and wired for backup lights.Overhauled the engine(it was running great) after I discovered flat lobes on the camshaft.I will talk about OBA on next post.Thanks for looking. Mike

Looks like you're doing a very nice job, look forward to seeing more!

You do EXTREMELY nice work. That project there will turn some heads for years to come!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Nice job. Two thumbs up.

I have been working on the 67 the last month cleaning frame,welding unwanted extra holes in firewall,installed dual reservoir master cylinder kit that I bought from 'HERMTHEOVERDRIVEGUY" about two years ago.replaced all brake lines and relocated brake light switch.Also cleaning up the wiring and wired for backup lights.Overhauled the engine(it was running great) after I discovered flat lobes on the camshaft.I will talk about OBA on next post.Thanks for looking. Mike

:)I'm a big fan of the "Old Jeep Iron".............looking good!

:D:D:D:D

Thankyou all for the kind words.Part of this phase of my project is to install a OBA system.I have purchashed some parts from Kilbys OBA .The compressor was scored at a swap meet for $5.00.Auto-meter dash gauge is from Summit Racing.The mounting bracket for the York compressor was made from aluminum from the surplus yard with a bosch jigsaw and drill press .The mounting location on the left head is usually reseved for power steering pump but I plan on retaining the Ross steering system so that was a natural place for the compressor.I found the three groove crank pulley localy on C/L. Not sure what it came off of originally.I bought a gasket set for the york pump and opened up the pump and cleaned out the refrigerant oil and replaced with 10-30 motor oil.The 2 gal air tank is mounted under floor behind diff. Installed drain valve and air chuck on rear cross member.I have not fired it up yet so we will see how it works. Mike

Very nice :notworthy::notworthy:

Nice job on the compressor mounting bracket. Did you design it or "borrow" the idea?

Actually I figured that one out myself.I will be the first to admit that I copy anything that will help me but not many guys doing OBA on the old v6's.

Just for referance heres a pics before..........

Good job so far. :notworthy:

You must have some metal working experience as I see blue marking fluid (or Dykem) in this picture...

12444d1356024253-mikes-67-cj5-ongoing-restoration-1967-jeep-overhaul-003.jpg

Why did you route the brake line up and around the pressure switch instead of up and next to it inboard or even directly to the flange?

12419d1355935357-mikes-67-cj5-ongoing-restoration-1967-jeep-overhaul-017.jpg

Wow, impressed. Nice work.

Good job so far. :notworthy:

You must have some metal working experience as I see blue marking fluid (or Dykem) in this picture...

12444d1356024253-mikes-67-cj5-ongoing-restoration-1967-jeep-overhaul-003.jpg

Why did you route the brake line up and around the pressure switch instead of up and next to it inboard or even directly to the flange?

12419d1355935357-mikes-67-cj5-ongoing-restoration-1967-jeep-overhaul-017.jpg
Good question. The exhaust pipe passes by there inside the frame so the factory routed it that way and I did the same.Good thing I did,the brake light switch is close but not terrible.

Thursday was a great day.Got the grille and radiator in and connected all the rad. hoses.Used my Stant cooling system pressure tester and ckecked the cooling system with air only.Pumped it up tp 14lb. and let it sit for 10 min. Held pressure ,no leaks.This works very well and saves a big mess if you have a leak.Started engine and ran 20 min. @2000 rpm for cam and lifter break-in. Set timming and adjusted carb.Runs like sewing machine and no oil leaks.Thursday was a good day! Mike

CJ------- heres a better pic of the brake line route with the exhaust pipe installed.

Things are looking up.I have been running the OBA and it works great.Lots of air .150 psi and recovers very quick.The pressure switch works perfect,goes to 150 psi and shuts off comp. then down to 120 psi and turns on.I only have a 2 gallon storage tank and I think 5 gal. would be about right.It runs the 1/2" impact wrench real good.I took off a wheel and put it back on without having to wait for air.So overall I think the project was worth the cost . Next up is to install radio and speakers and antenna. Mike

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks