Manifold studs

Manifold studs

thescot

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, FI'ed 258, T5, D300, AMC 20 and D35. 06 Tacoma 4wd,98 4Runner 4wd, 97 Ram 2500 V10 & Lance 3000, 01 HD E Glide.
Ive developed an exhaust leak on one cylinder. I suspect its from a missing stud in the very rear but after taking a pic Im not sure if there was one to start with. I cannot even get a look due to location but the pic I took looks like there is almost a clean factory hole in the head but the manifold dosent line up and allow for a stud to be in the hole. Have a look and tell me what you think.

Not sure if its suppose to be there, but for whats its worth, I just removed my manifold yesterday to start rebuilding the engine, and mine was the same way....holes didn't line up and there was certainly no bolt in there.

Looks like a warped manifold, not uncommon sometimes they can be fixed by reaming out all the bolt holes a bit.

I know this sounds like a PITA but I prefer to assemble the manifolds and the head and then put it on the block. This is, of course with the block still in place. Getting everything to line up on a 258 is a Royal PITA and a 4.0 head is even worse. I think it is worth the price of a new head gasket, but thats just me.:D

I stripped my engine down to repaint it, found that the timing chain needed replaced, and I wanted to replace all the gaskets due to different leaks. Here are some pictures. It is very hard for me to tell what bolt you are talking about. Hopefully my pictures will help. Rod

Here is what the engine looks like with the manifolds removed:
20130711_110127_zpsd54da784.jpg

Here are the different bolts needed to hold everything together. Green are all the long bolts with a washer, except the two top ones in the middle. Those two are regular bolts. The yellow ones are studs, but can be replaced with bolts. The studs help hold everything in place to start the other bolts. The orange are two line-up pins that are pressed into the block.
258I6ManifoldBoldHoles_zps53ddc2df.jpg

In this picture you can see a few of the long bolts with washers (Green). Also the two studs on the end (Yellow) that I replaced with bolts.
258I6withManifoldsandBolts_zps4e270215.jpg

All bots used for the manifold (and most of the engine) are 3/8 x 24 TPI. The block holes are 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch deep for the most part. All of the bolts for both manifolds need to be used to insure a tight seal and to keep it from warping. Hope this helps. Rod

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks