Lift Height to Axle Width Ratio

Lift Height to Axle Width Ratio

GravyProv1

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7. 304V8, AMC20 Rear, Dana30 Front, T150, Dana20 xfer. 2.5" ProComp Lift. Fiberglass everything.
Ok, my friend is building a CJ7 with spring over axle setup. Currently it appears that his SOA setup has easily added over 6" of lift from stock. Maybe more...yikes.

His question to me is to help him find a lift height to axle width ratio.

Anyone have advice or something that shows for example: For every 1" of lift over stock should the width get increased for stability.

Just looking for guidance or recommendations.

Thanks,
Gravy

I've never seen or heard of one but I'm sure someone has come up with something with all the rock crawlers out there.
I hope someone here finds something as you have my curiosity up.:D

There aren't many choices in axle width, unless you like to do full custom stuff.

Wide axles increase stability, but reduce maneuverability. Narrow axles decrease stability, but increase maneuverability. There is no formula.

How this? It should be just high enough so that on any trails that you run you will not tip it over, even if you are not paying attention to what you are doing. It should be just wide enough to squeeze thru any rocks or trees that you can't drive around. Also, all that stuff that have laying in you rig and is not tied down has to go somewhere when you tip over.

How this? It should be just high enough so that on any trails that you run you will not tip it over, even if you are not paying attention to what you are doing..

I'm not sure that's possible, even with full width Humvee axles.:D

Yeah, you start throwing lockers in the mix and its way too easy to do stupid things that will flop your Jeep, even on full width axles with stock lift. There is no formula - Jeep are compromises - just like everything else.

Interesting question.

Basically the higher lift you go the more unstable they become. Sway bars will help at highway speed.

I suspect the lift to velocity ratio for stability is exponential. The faster you go, the easier to tip. Can't beat the laws of physics.

Lots depends on your area. Big city traffic? All rural? Mostly off road? They all come into play. Tall is cool but if you are afraid to drive it, what good is it. :D

No one right answer to that question.
The lower and wider it is the more stable it is.
Low and wide is popular now.
wide-jeep.png

Okay, that's too wide.
Mopar-Jeep-Lower-Forty-1.jpg

its' a trade off. You will never get low and wide enough to say it will never roll. If it's too wide it has trouble on some trails. I go on some trails in the LaPlata mountains that I like to be narrow. Other trails I wish I was wider and lower.
129_1011_21_o+129_1011_joe_quichocho_2009_custom_jeep_cj7+driver_side_shot.jpg

Okay, maybe my examples are a bit extreme but I'd love to have that last one to play with.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks