latex paint peals off very soft and easily and in large pieces

latex paint peals off very soft and easily and in large pieces

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
I hope this was the best place to put this but i just moved into a new house that im renting (college) and the whole house and man cave has white trim and white cabinets ect well all the white paint is soft and peels of if scratched. you can literally take your fingernail and scratch some and just start pealing the paint off like a piece of latex film. I have never painted with latex so im not sure if it was done wrong or if thats just how the paint is. I know alot about construction and painting everything down to laying concrete but never have i had paint peal like this.

is there anything i can do about it other than peal it all off and repaint? is there something to put on it to seal it up and make it hard and not come off? is this a characteristic of latex paint or was it done wrong?

Typically that happens when someone puts latex over oil base without sanding and using primer first.

Typically that happens when someone puts latex over oil base without sanding and using primer first.

typically what he said or they used real old paint or both :chug:

x2 on the painting over an oil base that was not prep'd. Good luck

thanks for the info. i have been here for a month and paint is coming off every where! i hope i dont get charged for all the paint coming off. the whole house looks like crud now

oh well back to trying to find my jeep keys haha

I have sanded and prepped walls that had been painted with oil base paint. Used the latex :dung: and still had problems. I repainted with oil base pant over it and no more problem. Oil base paint is all that I use now.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks