Jimbos YJ/CJ build

Jimbos YJ/CJ build
Got a call back from the powder coater about the dash today.. to blast it, lay down a high zince rust inhibiting primer and gloss black textured finish... $100. Sold! Inbetween down pours today I snuck into the shop and worked on the wiring a little more. Heres what Ive got done
I was able to run the new wires through the stock harness hoops. I measured and cut all the end to the right length and got em hooked up.
IMG_4642_zpsf9a0ff8d.jpg

Then I Ran some loom just for :dung:s and giggles.. I still need to add the power wire for the fan realy into the loom. The green and tan wires are the head light and high beam leads that Ill use to power the relays. I wired in the choke realy and got it powered up.

IMG_4643_zpsc98b4571.jpg

Heres the drivers side.. the blinkers and markers will come in from this side.
IMG_4644_zpsc7900367.jpg

and before the flaming starts I still need to make the cover for the hole where the old panel was.

Heres the "new" seats from Keith

IMG_4640_zps85bc8f1a.jpg

and fancy soft door from Brian.
IMG_4639_zps64409453.jpg

Little bits I guess.

Yesterday was christmas in june.

I got my 85 amp continous duty relay for my fan, and tools and connections to make the weather pack connections. I also picked up a set of pro comp 35's for the jeep..

Im going to try to do a write up for making weather pack connections and take lots of pics when I get my dash built.

I look forward to that write up. Seems to be coming along pretty good. Keep it up. :chug:
Yesterday was christmas in june.

I got my 85 amp continous duty relay for my fan, and tools and connections to make the weather pack connections. I also picked up a set of pro comp 35's for the jeep..

Im going to try to do a write up for making weather pack connections and take lots of pics when I get my dash built.

Sorry it took me a bit to get back here.
The round head lights:
you can buy a whole grill $$$
Weld in tj buckets
Or stick in a CJ grill but it'll require fenders and hood if I recall correctly.

Sorry been so long for an update.. been busy over the summer

Got my dash back from the powder coater.. Wow. Great job at a really great price. If any one needs good work done right I would definately go to advanced in long wood.
IMG_4891_zps32a47387.jpg
IMG_4898_zpsc37b09dc.jpg
IMG_4897_zpsc50eb156.jpg
IMG_4896_zps98b65a13.jpg
IMG_4895_zps55143017.jpg
Very happy with the results

Looks good. Hard to see how much angle is on the gauges , but Im guessing from the shadowing in the pics. Cant wait to see the installed pics. :cool:

Alrighty.. summer breaks over, wife and kis are back to work and school so now I get some jeep time! I made the brackets for the gauges yesterday.. went pretty smooth except for the speedo gauge, that took a few tries. Also got all the wiring except for the gauge lights done. Next step is to hang it on the tub and check the measurements for the packare connectors.

IMG_5111_zps2689b43e.jpg
IMG_5112_zpsfe961216.jpg
IMG_5110_zpsaa257931.jpg
I was also able to wire up the signal wires, the ignition source wires, indicator lights and switches wired. All I have left is gauge grounds and lights.
IMG_5115_zps81956fc9.jpg
IMG_6719_zps3be7228d.jpg
A little progress is better then nothing

Heres some pics of todays progress.
Dash veiw from the drivers seatish area.
IMG_5124_zps4ffa8ad2.jpg

Got 3 of 5 weather pack connectors done. Ive got one left for grounds and one for my fan kill/warning light
IMG_5127_zps51d1513b.jpg

I just need to wire up the lights for the gauges.. unfortunately the sockets with the old gauges were brittle and 2 broke so I ordered 4 new ones today. I also have the clock and tie rod assembly on order. Im hoping next week to get the jeep back on its wheels. Im waitnign to hear back about trading my stock fenders for some tube fenders also.. cant wait for that!

Got my new tie rod kit delivered yesterday along with my gauge lights. The clock should be in today so next week Ill be able to get the dash completely wired up and ready to go. Today I got the tie rod installed, Tires on it and axle back in place.. No more jackstand jeep!
IMG_5137_zpse804aaa8.jpg

Also picked up some hard half doors. Ill break these down and get em ready for paint this week also.
IMG_5135_zpsd0b56cd1.jpg
IMG_5136_zps1c542b23.jpg

I still need to get the front regeared but need to save for the install kit and labor but atleast i can roll her in and out of the garage so I can start on the paint and body work.

So I did a little bit of work on the jeep today.

Installed the intake and torqued every thing down. All I need to finish it up is a pipe and some sender unit sealer

IMG_5373_zps386372c9.jpg

IMG_5372_zps9418f0cb.jpg

IMG_5371_zpse5060d29.jpg

All the un needed senders were removed and plugged. The exhaust tube that runs to the bottom was removed the pipe cut off flush and the hole was welded up using a fender washer to take up most of the room. I looked for a EGR block off plate but no one could come up with a definitive answer for one so I just hacked the valve off with a sawzal and broke out the welder again to fill the hole.

The. I cleaned out the back, test fit the seats and tossed the console in to see how it all fit.

IMG_5374_zps69e93776.jpg

I figured since I was moving right along I figured it was a good time to put the flange on the rear drive shaft and get it installed. Yup there's my head ache. The 8.8 spring perches are the perfect width (po changed em) so I figured I would be able to just sneak it in.

I'm not Tom woods but I'm pretty sure I have some bad angles.

IMG_5376_zpsa17c6006.jpg

The pinion was up 1 degree and the tc was at 0-1 down. The yokes kept hitting each other. I'm gonna try to shim the rear and drop the t/c and maybe 1" motor mount lift to get it better. I loosened the skid plate and it dropped about .5" and the t case angle went to 5 so I think I may be heading in the right direction.

With that being said I know the correct thing to do is remove the rear and cut and turn it.. I really don't want to do that.

That's were I am now.. Still need to paint it.

Oh and I picked up a MSD 6al this afternoon. Going high tech

Im not Tim Woods either but that angle looks like it would destroy u joints while still in park!:D:D:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

So got 90% of the sanding done. I hit the whole tub with 220 grits to get the clear knocked down. The areas that got taken down to the bare metal I hit with a little primer sealer so it doesnt start to rust. I also scrubbed the dirt and mud dobber nests out of the tub. I also made a block off plate for the fuse block and swapped the brake pedals to the correct one. what a PITA!!
IMG_5411_zps2cf1c579.jpg
IMG_5413_zps25eb69fe.jpg
IMG_5412_zpsdf9959ef.jpg
IMG_5414_zps4dbc67bd.jpg

Next up is to hit the small glossy spots by hand then wait for my compressor and air water seperator to come back so I can prime and paint it. Im gonna give it one maybe 2 coats of primer then paint.

Ha.. No sir, my little work pad in front of my back garage.

WOW.. its been a bit since I updated here.
Grill painted
Rad and fan installed
Brake light mounting holes opened up to 1/4-20 I couldnt find the right size for the stock holes
Found the wiring i was missing for the MSD box. It was on my work bench :doh:
Mounted the fuel pump.. again
drilled the holes for the steering wheel cover
Installed the dash to see how much wiring i need to change for the unforeseen column mount interference. Not as much as I originally thought.
Then tonite I walked out to the shop to grab a part and realized I was able to walk around the jeep with out stepping over parts hich means I either through a bunch of stuff out that i needed or more parts are on the jeep then are on the floor. Monday Im going to mount the fenders again and work on finishing the engine bay wiring. Once all the wirings finished and stuff is mounted Im going to tear em off and paint em. Heres some grill pics
IMG_5977_zpsf66c5a58.jpg
IMG_5978_zpsd400de93.jpg
IMG_5981_zps5957449e.jpg
IMG_5984_zpsacbb4757.jpg
Heres the pics of my fender fix. Im cheap so instead of buying a good new set of fenders Im using a set that Keith gave me. They are pretty good on the outside but cut for shock hoops on the inside.
IMG_5890_zpsc7a56571.jpg
I used the plasma cutter to cut the inners out of the bad fenders
IMG_5891_zps03a5008d.jpg
Welded the patch panels in
IMG_5940_zps908b01ab.jpg
Napa sells a decent bed liner in a can. I wouldnt use it for the bed of my truck but works nice for parts like this
IMG_5970_zps0b4e16b1.jpg
Got a little bit more done today.. I actually made a list and finished every thing that was on it
I hung the fenders so I could mount all the ignition parts and head light harness.
Passenger side
IMG_5992_zps39fb9519.jpg
Driver side
IMG_5995_zps998a8e88.jpg
Fabbed some brackets for the MDS 6A box I didnt like the position it had to be in to get it to sit flat. Now it sits nice and level. I also made a bracket for the street fire TFI coil. Of course after i got it all installed I decided I dont like the way the coil is positioned so i need to remove it and trim up the hole in the bracket so it fits better. I have a 12v positive stud to the right of the Coil so all my hot leads will go to it.
Friday Im going to remove the fenders and start to get em ready for paint. I want to be able to bolt up all the fender parts prior to placing them back on the jeep.. Hoping to keep the scratches to a minimum.
The little silver solenoid at the bottom of the pic is the fan solenoid.
Brought my tail lights with me to work today and fixed the wiring.
IMG_6003_zps62f4a4fc.jpg
IMG_6005_zps12f66268.jpg
Notice something different with these?
So.. Today I got the power steering return hooked up, steering shaft on, lower rad hose, headlights and blinkers in and head lights wired, painted a headlight bezel to see how it looks, painted a test peice of fender flares, bolted fenders on. I also made a 3hr trip to pick up parts from josh.. Not bad for a days work.
IMG_6077_zps02a07e0f.jpg
IMG_6078_zps41e4a28a.jpg
IMG_6081_zpsae7fc4d5.jpg
IMG_6080_zps4cfa2908.jpg
Sorry if it seems choppy for a post. Ijust cut and paste from another forum.

IMG_5409_zpsa2422acd.jpg
2 coats of primer
IMG_5902_zps62c09f35.jpg
Some red laid down
IMG_5909_zps6fd91d17.jpg

Finished paint
IMG_5917_zps43e6b820.jpg
2 coats of primer, 3 coats of red and 3 coats of clear.
Heres the color in the sun.. Its actually red but looks orange in the pic
IMG_5912_zpsd03f13a9.jpg

So heres a summary of the last few months

finally got a little bit of time to work on the jeep today. heres some pics.

Got the new seal on the tail gate, latch and hinges on. Not to shabby.
IMG_6673_zps07b58533.jpg
I had a bunch of 2ga welding cable laying around so I decided to make my new battery cables out of em. After getting the positive and negative made I hot wired the head light relay to see if it was going to work
IMG_1851_zpsb208c8d2.jpg
and a big chunk of my time was spent tearing down me Dana 30 to have it regeared
IMG_6209_zps306a91d7.jpg
I know it doesnt seem like alot of work to finish but the battery cables and the lights are finished. While the axle is out getting done Im gonna pick up parts from gutthans and a new set of calipers and rotor. Once the front end is put back in it is complete.. My to do list is getting smaller a little bit at a time.

So.. I was off Friday and did a little bit of jeep work.
Got the new alternator and brackets installed
IMG_6597_zps569c2588.jpg
I've spent quite a bit of time looking for one of these.
IMG_6600_zpsb9121b9e.jpg
Pulled my front end to sell to done one else now I have no front end.. Jeep looks sad.
IMG_6592_zps7ccd2416.jpg
Got my battery cables made (lost a wing nut)
IMG_6607_zps412429f8.jpg
And my plug wires custom made.
IMG_6606_zps41d936f4.jpg
I also got some oil in her, and put 1" spacer under the trans mount and that seemed to put my drive shaft angle perfect.

Well this went down today.
IMG_7064_zps05b13ebc.jpg
So i get to check windshield ofc my list.
Heres a few other pics.. Just because.
IMG_6934_zpscb40ef32.jpg
IMG_7059_zpsd6d0f58c.jpg
IMG_7058_zps72f2076a.jpg
IMG_7057_zpsedc21f3e.jpg
Oh and i forgot i gif my front axle back today to!!

Finally of the jack stands and on the 33's

IMG_7090_zps90d4ee4c.jpg
IMG_7087_zps6b3e8f9d.jpg
IMG_7089_zps6568600d.jpg
IMG_7093_zpsa336ee65.jpg

I had a front brake fiasco last night.. I ordered new rotor, calipers and pads for a 88 front axle. Finally get around to installing every thing and the rotor wont fit over the unit bearing. So I go to the parts store and pick up a set of calipers for a 95 front and sure enough they fit awesome. I then put the pads in place and the back pad barely makes contact with the bracket and looks like it will easily fall off. So off to the parts store again. I looked at calipers and pads and they are all different. Then brought the rotors back to the store and compared them. Not only is the 95 bigger in the middle but it sits back 1/8" further. Then it dawned on me, Im using unit bearings that came with the TJ shafts I picked up.. apparently the unit bearing is bigger. I exchanged the new rotors for the original ones I picked up, swapped the unit bearing out for the 88 ones and every thing went back together perfect.. although that last lugnut never really tightened all the way :doh:
but on a even better note
IMG_7134_zps4566340f.jpg
$210 shipped little over a week to get it done including shipping from up north.

Well that concludes my well over due update. I was hoping to finish up by christmas.. Ive had some family isues come up. Not saying it wont be done by then but not looking great. of course family comes first.. Most of my to do list is just wrapping up a bunch of little loose ends so I think a few good days of solid work will get it finished.

Last edited:
Enjoyed reading your build brother, good job. I'm starting a refurb on a 1978 CJ7 I picked up in the panhandle after Hurricane Michael for $1500.00. It was hit by a tree and knocked all the rust out of it. It was a farmers farm truck.

Attachments

• 20181028_152823.jpg
    20181028_152823.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181028_152924.jpg
    20181028_152924.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 42

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks