Jeepster Commando

Jeepster Commando

Niedhogg

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with 304ci V8, TH400 auto, Quadratrac T-case, Stock 20 and 30 rears with no mods yet, not sure of the gear ratio.. 4" Softride Superlift, w/widetrac shock towers and 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrains

'76 CJ5, 232 ci, T-150 3-speed, D20 T-case, Corp. 20 rear w/full float axles and lockout hubs and Detroit auto locker, D30 front w/lockout hubs, gear ratio is unknown..
So I'm digging through my local salvage yard a week or so ago and found this.. way in the back... thought I might try to talk them out of it. Seen a few of these all set up, and they're pretty cool.. any guesses on the driveline? It does have the 304, but I'm unsure of the tranny other than it is an automatic.. t-case maybe a Dana 20 or D-300 by the shifter?? and then what axles do you think??

2012-01-09_16-24-48_681.jpg

2012-01-09_16-25-33_484.jpg

2012-01-09_16-26-12_22.jpg

2012-01-09_16-26-36_885.jpg

any guesses on the driveline? It does have the 304, but i'm unsure of the tranny other than it is an automatic.. T-case maybe a Dana 20 or d-300 by the shifter?? And then what axles do you think??
400/Dana 20

Edit: forgot to list the axles 30/44

Last edited:
400/Dana 20

Edit: forgot to list the axles 30/44

Kinda what I was thinking, Thanks!

Has anyone else done one of these? You sure don't see them everyday. I googled some images and I'm pretty excited about building one. Longer wheel base, more storage for trail gear. :D

Those are so hard to find in good to that kind of shape out here. i had my dad go look at one and the poor girl was gone.... its a shame because i kinda want a commando:(

I prefer the Jeepster over the bull nose commando just think they look better. I had a 71 Jeepster pickup (225/T14) and a 70 Jeepster convertible (225/400).

I prefer the Jeepster over the bull nose commando just think they look better. I had a 71 Jeepster pickup (225/T14) and a 70 Jeepster convertible (225/400).

You mean the ones that have a CJ-like front end, right? Those are pretty cool too, and I've seen a couple with CJ front clips. Looks like they'd pretty much bolt right on. If I could find one of those, and had a choice, I'd probably go that way too. But if I can get it to this level, then who cares? LOL..

Jeepster Commando.jpg

Oooh Yeaaa....:cool:

Yes, the flat grills (71 & down). Don’t get me wrong I like the bull nose as well came close to buying one last summer with a factory T-18 (4.02 first gear) but the deal fall through.

Any plans to grab the one you found?

Yes, the flat grills (71 & down). Don’t get me wrong I like the bull nose as well came close to buying one last summer with a factory T-18 (4.02 first gear) but the deal fall through.

Any plans to grab the one you found?

As soon as I decide to get back to work, yes, I will try to buy this Jeep! Not sure how this salvage yard works with stuff like this, however, I did buy a whole car for parts there a couple years ago. Might have to track down a VIN tag with a title to get it registered, and that could be the real challenge with something like this..

I've been huntin down one and I already have plans for it, an I don't even have it... But the only problem is finding a lift for it... I've read that they're hard to find. Probably a spring-over would work and Niedhogg if u pick that one up, good luck to you my friend!

But the only problem is finding a lift for it... I've read that they're hard to find.
You can purchase lift springs for your Jeepster from Alcan, ESPO, or Betts Spring.

here in itally commandos are very easy to found,personally i've found one last year and i desmantelling just for curiosity.....perkins diesel engine (1.8 liter)with strange UGO gearbox ....

here in itally commandos are very easy to found,personally i've found one last year and i desmantelling just for curiosity.....perkins diesel engine (1.8 liter)with strange UGO gearbox ....

That is interesting, maybe they built more for export than for the US market. This one that I found is the first one I have ever seen, I thought it was a Bronco, or a Scout at first glance, and when I Google Pic it, there really aren't that many that come up.

Will you be building it back up? It would be cool to see some pics if you have them..

So I'm digging through my local salvage yard a week or so ago and found this.. way in the back... thought I might try to talk them out of it. Seen a few of these all set up, and they're pretty cool.. any guesses on the driveline? It does have the 304, but I'm unsure of the tranny other than it is an automatic.. t-case maybe a Dana 20 or D-300 by the shifter?? and then what axles do you think??

View attachment 8069

View attachment 8070

View attachment 8071

View attachment 8072

That is a C104 JEEP Commando, only produced in 1972 & 1973. It was a modification of the '66-'71 JeepSTER Commando but it got a face-lift to accommodate the AMC engines. It has a 304/TH400/Dana 20 drive train with a Dana 30 front/ Dana 44 rear axle combo.

Commandos were produced in Europe and elsewhere under license well after US production ceased. IIRC many were produced in Spain maybe into the 80's?

I have two of these jeeps that I am wanting to sell. xxx

Once you satisfy the classified rules of this forum (of which you were directed to an acknowledged) you may place an ad.

Edited by CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks