Jacked Up

Jacked Up

cj7inthetwigs

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7
Hello everyone, I have decided to stop using crosstires and bottle jacks. I need advice on what brand to stay away from, things to look for, etc, etc. Probably doing the lawn shop or flea market as we have a few big ones around these parts. Anyways , I want to make sure the CJ7 doesnt crush me or any of my vehicles for that matter. Weight wise my 04 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 is probably heaviest in the barn. Thanks guys. On a side note I have joined three other forums. One a chevy/gmc for my truck and two toyota forums for the growing fleet of yota's. Two trucks and two suv's! The CJ7 is feeling like a outcast, lol. What I am getting so is that I am spoiled by this forum and the folks on it. Clean, fast, accurate advise and information. Detailed responses and always pictures. I am pleased to be a small part of this forum and thank you to the folks that keep it going.

47 views and no body with any knowledge on jacks. I know I can Google till my heart is happy, but as always value a fellow jeepers opinion.

Well, if its shop tools you are looking for I've got all Harbor freight. So far they've worked well. 3 Ton floor jack and 4 jack stands. I got the Heavy duty 6 ton jack stands because they are taller and give me more room which you'll need if you have bigger tires.

Well, if its shop tools you are looking for I've got all Harbor freight. So far they've worked well. 3 Ton floor jack and 4 jack stands. I got the Heavy duty 6 ton jack stands because they are taller and give me more room which you'll need if you have bigger tires.

I am looking at the HF 3 ton jack as well. I just have a mild lift (3") on 31s. And wanted to make sure it will have room to lift from the frame if I wanted. Will that jack do the job?

I haven't used it from the frame yet. Looks like I have the 2.5 ton with a 20 inch lift height. Had to go look at emails to see which one I had. I was concerned about that when I bought it but so far it hasn't been a problem. I just lift from under the pumpkin and put the stands where I need them.

They have a different model that has a 24 inch lift height that might work better for that.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering about the height of the stands as well. I like how you went with the 6 ton guys. Too bad they are not on the big sale right now.

But they will be on sale again soon.

And then bring in the 20% coupon.

Make two trips if possible using a coupon each time

A fast pump 3 ton floor jack and you're set.

Never trust a jack only. What a way to go -squished. :eek:

There we go, looked into the massively expensive units. I buy quality tools because my profession calls for tools. I know better than use cheap tolls, however when building our cabin and inlaw talked me into Harbour Freight. Basically I got EVERYTHING I needed for the price of a Dewalt compound saw. Air compressor finally bit the dust after 7 years. I actually bookmarked the 3 tons before reading this, but now will be looking into the 6's. I am firm about going overboard when it comes to safety! Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Thinking the 3 ton lift has a height of 16 3/4 to 19" depending on model. Figured, I would measure current setup then add 6" for extreme overboard reasons ( currently 3" body lift from PO will one day be replaced with suspension and body). Anyhow, I feel better about Harbour Freight now. If you Google something long enough you will question everything. I tend to trust the word of fellow jeepers more so than the open web. Noticed reviews stating these stands where curved too much for. frame ,but I usually always hit the axle. Might be a issue down the road but main reason I want them is to rotate tires and basic maintenance.

The stands are perfect for the axle. I agree they don't fit perfectly on the frame but I've used them on the frame a few times. Check out all the models for the lift height spec. The heavier one doesn't necessarily lift the highest.

The 6 ton stands have a wide base. Nearly 18 inches I think.

I would argue with nothing said so far. Not a big fan of the fast pump jacks. not as much control as I like but OK to get it off the ground. can't remember ever lifting the frame but I have put jacks under it a few times to work on/ remove/replace axles. just lift at the axle until the stand fits under the frame.:D

IMO go big. I've had lifted jeeps and trucks my whole life so I always needed something bigger than the norm it seemed.
I use a 3 1/2 ton floor jack because it had a higher lift than the 3 tons did. I've had it so long that I don't remember where I got it. Same goes for my jack stands. I have 10 ton's that I use under the frame because they are taller than the 6 ton harbor freight ones that I use under the axles.

Attachments

• IMG_2972_901x676.jpg
    IMG_2972_901x676.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 66
I use 1 1/2, 3 & 6 ton stands. A 3 ton Craftsman & a 6 ton floor jacks. I use small & large oak blocks/thick rubber to keep from tearing off paint on picky customers frames, spring plates, axle tubes and diffs.
Got the rubber (mud flaps 1/4" x 8" x 24") from my brother when he worked at Safari Coach - Monoco Motor Homes. Also makes great isolators.

Before I crawl under I shake the Jeep hard.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks