Issues with 1967 CJ5 Steering Box

Issues with 1967 CJ5 Steering Box

tycoon90

Jeeper
Thanks
My friend got 1967 CJ5 and can turn the steering wheel back & forth but the tires don’t move. Any ideas on what this is or if there is a steering box to replace? And where would a good place be to get the replacement parts?

Pop the hood and watch the steering shaft when he turns the steering wheel. Be sure it is not broken or disconnected all the way to the steering box. Rare, but It may be a stripped shaft or broken joint. I doubt the steering box is broken to the point that it turns freely without hanging up at some point. But starager things have hapened...

X2 on what coldwater said, if you watch something has to quit moving somewhere.

The Ross steering box on the old CJ's are notorious for excessive play. There is an adjustment for it on the side of the box, but in my experience it won't "fix" what your describing. Also, don't rule out that part of the play (no tire movement) can come from worn ball joints; many moving parts in an old CJ's steering linkage... In my case when the wheel was centered, it would move about 5" to either side of center before any tire movement took place!! Definitely unsat, but I lived with it for many years (also unsat!)... My solution was a Saginaw P/S conversion; and I haven't regretted it since completion in '98. I'm sure there are resources for rebuilding the box; but unless looking to restore the CJ, it's just not worth it. JMHO!!

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks