Electrical Intermittent wiper module/switch...

Electrical Intermittent wiper module/switch...

Project86

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ 7 Blue
2004 Chevy LWB CC,
2012 Corvette Grand Sport
1986 CJ 7 Red Garnet
1978 CJ 7 Kinda Orangish

Attachments

• wiper con 1.jpg
    wiper con 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
  • wiper con 3.jpg
    wiper con 3.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 11
  • wiper con 4.jpg
    wiper con 4.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 11
  • wiper con 5.jpg
    wiper con 5.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 11
Never used one but I know what it is. It's basically an adjustable time on / time off relay. CJ's have both a high and low speed feed and the motor parks itself.

The 4-wire wiper motor for CJs has the ability to do intermittent if you have the switch and control box. The 3-wire motor can work, but you'll lose the "park" feature. If you don't have the switch and delay module, then the unit you pictured will retrofit to provide intermittent functionality. That module uses a common 555 timer chip and a basic RC circuit (using the rheostat as the variable resistor in that circuit) to change the charge timing on capacitor C2 to trigger the relay. Not going to be room in the original dash location to mount that switch with that circuit board hanging behind it. Plus you'll lose the washer function of the stock CJ wiper switch (push to wash). Might be better to simply get the right switch (Crown #J5758904 or Standard Motor #DS-577) and the delay module (#SF3728007). The delay modules are getting harder to find, but still available of you look. Here's one on eBay: Delay module on eBay

And here's the whole setup, with the delay module, the switch, and even the chrome bezel: Intermittent wiper parts on eBay

Mid-80's Ford switch and delay box should also work as they used the same connector plugs.

I've attached the two different switch diagrams found in the 82 shop manual. You should be able to trace the wires at the dash using them, so you know which wires do what.

But like TSB8C says above, the easy move is to buy the factory parts and plug them in. I was able to source a used "magic box" from the nearby jeep wrecking yard. I have my old box, and traced the problem to bad relay contacts (the circuit actually works great) but I'm unable and/or too lazy to source a new one to solder in.

The attached images are from the 82 shop manual.

Attachments

• Wipers Diagram.jpg
    Wipers Diagram.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Wipers Diagram 2.jpg
    Wipers Diagram 2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I would be interested to here if that works, no one reproduces the factory delay nor makes the switch plugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife is out of town this weekend, so I'm gonna wade into the shallow end of the pool and see what happens. Thanks, for the replies and options.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom