Insurance heads up

Insurance heads up

Duhwhat

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 2.5L 4 cylinder
T-4, Dana 300, AMC 20 rear end
I am probably the only one that didn't know this, but I will post it just in case there are others that are paying too much for your classic car insurance.

I have been with Allstate all my life because my mother worked at Sears for 30 years.

I called my agent to insure my jeep and specified the amount I wanted for coverage in case of theft of total loss ($15,000).

They quoted me $400 every 6 months. I asked what I paid for my 06 and 07 honda's that I drive every day... $350 semi annually. What the????

That seemed high, but I had no idea how high. They said they would check to see if they could do better and get back to me. In the mean time I google Geico and eventually call them. They say they don't do classic cars but have someone who does it for them and put in touch with American Collectors Insurance.

$15000 coverage, max liability, collision and comprehensive with zero deductable, towing service.... $190 a year.

I had no idea.

Along those same lines of saving some $$$ for my Texas brethren, you can antique license plates for 50 bucks. If I remember right the plates are good for 5 years and you don't need an inspection sticker. My CJ is a '86 so everyone under mine is coved. The vehicle has to be 25 years old or more. Booyah!

The only problem with with Classic or Antique license plates or insurance in a lot of states is that there are restrictions on amount of accruable milage in a year, weather conditions that the vehicle can be driven in, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I did a lot of research for where I live (Virginia) and where my CJ is registered (Pennsylvania) for both Classic and Antique plates or insurance, both states had serious restrictions for both.

Last edited:
Antique plates here in the Peoples Republik of Illanoyed, you, by law, can only drive the vehicle to and from car shows. Now the plates are all over and people drive em, when and where they want, but thats what the law says.

From the states website :

Antique Vehicle License Plates are issued for a five year registration period expiring Dec. 31, 2014. To qualify for Antique Plates, motor vehicles, including motorcycles, must be more than 25 years old. Firefighting vehicles must be at least 20 years old.

Vehicles displaying these plates may only be driven to and from an antique auto show or exhibition, service station or demonstration. The mechanical and physical condition of the vehicle, including brakes, lights, glass and appearance, must be the same or as safe as originally equipped. An antique vehicle may be a "bona fide replica" - an exact copy of the original in design, frame and mechanical operation. "Facsimiles" - close, but not exact, reproductions of the original - do not qualify for Antique Vehicle plates.

Here in Aridzona, you can register your over 30 year old vehicle with regular plates or classic car plates. Because mine is pre-emissions, the regular plate is good for 5 years and ran me 55 bucks. This is removing the classic plate and putting the regular plate on. To register with the classic plate, it is good for up to 5 years at 10 bucks a year plus tax (55 bucks) PLUS another 10 dollars a year plus tax for the plate its own self (55 bucks) that 110 bucks for the same time span!:eek::censored: I went with the regular plates.:cool:

In Minnesota, the collector plate is a one-time buy. Then the insurance falls way off. Can't drive it everyday, just tell em it's your vacation and you're touring.

The lift laws don't fully apply then - lots of benefits.

ARKANSAS, land of close family ties (family trees dont branch here, they LOOP)

Antique tags are $10, lifetime of ownership. No restrictions.

Try going to Shelter Ins. For liability I pay $3.48 a month for each of my classics, and Shelter doesnt have any "defined restrictions", they only ask that it be a vehicle that can enter a show (not if it can win).

Emissions? What the hell is that?

Later Boys

I call them all and they just keep lowering the price from the last quote. You can play around with some things to drastically change the price too.

On my street bike I took off collision but left uninsured motorist. Dropped my premium in half.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks