Ignition switch

2lostspace

Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ-7
Engine 258
Transfer case dana 300
I need to replace the ignition switch on my 82 CJ. Do you have to take the steering column out to do this? It is not the tumbler it is the switch down the column. :bang::bang:

Nope, you just have to pop the steering wheel off, remove the turnsignal piece, pop the lock out in one piece, and pop the new one in. Simple fix.

Exactly what CW said. You'll need a steering wheel puller, if you don't have one. I needed the wife to help, because trying to get the turn signal piece back in there correctly requires three hands. And the worst part of all of it, I have GM keys now rolleyes.png

Are you talking about the lock cylinder that the key goes in?If so than what CW said.He said its not the tumbler which leads me to believe its the switch at the base of the column.
If its the switch at the bottom of the column than no you just need to remove the 2 5/16" bolts and the wiring plug.

Are you talking about the lock cylinder that the key goes in?If so than what CW said.He said its not the tumbler which leads me to believe its the switch at the base of the column.
If its the switch at the bottom of the column than no you just need to remove the 2 5/16" bolts and the wiring plug.

Clearly, you are a better proof reader than I am.:eek: And also correct.

No, you don't need to pull the column, just wiggle yourself under the column, pull the 2 little bolts and unclip the switch.

So get this I called NAPA today (only parts store in town) and I wont be able to get a switch tell next week. I can get one off the net and have it here by Wednesday. I really hate this ISLAND some times.:bang::bang: Almost makes me want to start a parts store for Jeeps!!!!

Ha! went to Napa cause thought they would have the Timing chain or get it quick... WELL they said about week and half due to special order and was going to be $124.99 plus tax. I think I hurt their feelings as I was laughing while walking out the door.:D
but nicejeep hit it on the head.

I sit corrected. I didn't proof read worth a :dung: either.

I started looking at the pile of parts that I had from the YJ tear down. I looked at the switch and it was the same as the CJ so I put it in the Jeep. Same Issue. Did some more diagnosis on the thing and found the start relay would stick on even when the start wire was disconnected. I got a new starter solenoid and put that in.

I wired up a switch to the start wire so that I could shut off the power on that circuit so I could do some diagnosis on the thing. Well I tried to start the thing and the ICM was not getting power in or out of it. It also had a couple of large bubbles on the back side. I replaced it.

I put the ICM in and still it would not fire. Pulled a plug and grounded it and there was no spark. I checked to see if the distributer was turning , it was. At this pint I was thinking that the thing just didnt like me.:bang:.

Well at this point I was done trying to figure out what was wrong. That is when I thought mabe the coil was bad. I just happened to have one that was in the Ranger Pick up project that I am working on.

I popped coil in the Jeep and the thing started up and the power issue on the start wire went away. This thing runs a coil out of a 93 Ford ranger, cap, rotor, plugs, wires out of a 80s Ford straight 6.

So with all that said what could have been the reason for the coil back feeding the start wire off the switch?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks