ignition control module

ignition control module
I mounted my module on a full size computer CPU heat sink, I didn't realise they got that hot, glad I did. And I recommend artic silver paste for the compund between the module and it's heat sink, also use copper it cools better than aluminum.
The paste can be bought at radio shack, and an old CPU heat sink works great.
Check a local computer repair place they'll usually have a couple old ones just lying around you can get free. I also went a step further and polished the mounting surface of the module and the heat sink, I wanted the best heat transfer.
What can I say computers are my thing and old habits die hard.

Suppose all that might look like this when you were done?

HEIhybird06.gif

$4 Radio Shack Project Box,
Aluminum lid worked great for heat sink,

Added old computer heat sink 'Just In Case',

Module, $20.
Condenser, $3.
Box, $4.
Wiring, terminals, grommets about $10,
Plug to mate with Jeep/Motorcraft reman distributor, $15.
Coil Connector, $7.
Distributor, $50.
Cap adapter, cap, rotor, $35,
Plug wires, $35,
New plugs, $9.

Massive Quantities of beer while working on said vehicle...
About $40!!!

Some RANDOM Images from an upgrade...

HEIhybird03.gif

HEIhybird02.gif

I6Conversion04.gif

I6Conversion06.gif

I6Conversion07.gif

I6Conversion12.gif

Recently had to replace the ignition module on my 84 Cj 8. One day running and the next dead.
Coil went out a while back. Drive several miles, acted like no fuel. Started later and let it run. Quit after about 15 min. Checking for a fault and found a very hot coil. Problem solved.

What about going to a D.U.I Distributor and getting rid of the whole entire set up, kinda like a GM?
Yes this will solve the problem, I run a D.U.I in my CJ7 . There was some unknown hei when i bought the jeep that promptly failed so D.U.I and no worries after.

Yes this will solve the problem, I run a D.U.I in my CJ7 . There was some unknown hei when i bought the jeep that promptly failed so D.U.I and no worries after.
HEI is a great ignition system, shame that DUI costs so much, I had to get the cheap chinese rip off

So if my ignition control module says MOTORCRAFT on it theres a good chance it is original or really old? Would it be wise to pickup a new module since they're only about $30 and keep the MOTORCRAFT as a spare in the trail bag? Almost seems like it would make sense to do a preemptive change of the pickup under the cap too? Parts are cheaper than getting stuck in the woods for me!

So if my ignition control module says MOTORCRAFT on it theres a good chance it is original or really old? Would it be wise to pickup a new module since they're only about $30 and keep the MOTORCRAFT as a spare in the trail bag? Almost seems like it would make sense to do a preemptive change of the pickup under the cap too? Parts are cheaper than getting stuck in the woods for me!
I would pick one up as well as other spares. I would test the new one to be sure its not a dud but if you keep it on and keep the old one is a toss up for me.

Its hard to decide what to do ignition wise since an HEI is so compact and cheap but the factory stuff also works until it doesn't. Hard to believe all that ignition module that is stock AMC can be tucked under the cap of an HEI and still perform as well.

Lol well it is a pretty big cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks