If you had $1,000

If you had $1,000

eddieb74

Jeeper
Thanks
I've got the regular assortment of tools, but no air compressor or air tools. Anyone got a favorite setup? I've got a tax return to blow but I'd rather not buy something bigger than I need. I'll be buying my first CJ7 soon and I figure a compressor is a good thing to have.

Are you saying that $1000 for air tools and a compressor? Do you plan on doing any blasting or painting? How about voltage? Can you do wiring or does it have to plug in? 110v or 220v?

I have a craftsman 33 gal 5(?) hp compressor. I ran a 10 gauge line off its own 30a breaker to my garage just for my welder and compressor. It does not keep up with my sandblaster.:mad: I removed the motor from the tank and made a 2x4 studded box and double drywalled it. Used a squirrel fan to keep it cool. It is quiet enough to use now while the kids are in the house sleeping, but wish I went larger and 2 stage. If I did it again, I would buy a craftsman 2 stage with a larger tank(60 gal) and possibly 220v. They aren't that much more, and are quieter. My compressor does fine keeping up with my 3/8" tools i use most of the time. Keep in mind most houses are wired with the garage circuit part of a house circuit also. It might be running some lights or a tv thats on in the house. The compressor will fill most of the time with an empty tank. When the motor tries to start with some pressure in the tank, it can trip a breaker. A lot of houses will require a wire upgrade. Also, I always thought, I will never need a bigger comp. than what I have, now I regret thinking that.

I would suggest shopping for air tools first and figure out which has the highest air usage(cfm). Then look for a compressor that is rated slightly higher. So it will be able to more than compensate for that tool with the higher air usage while filling the tank. You can probably get away with buying higher quality 3/8" tools since most things on a light vehicle won't need too much force to brake loose. And with a strong 1/2" tool it is very easy to snap any bolt on a car or light truck.

I have (had) a 33 gallon craftsman compressor also. It didn't keep up with a lot of the stuff I was doing, but my eventual solution was to scavenge a 60 gallon compressor tank to give me a cushion for the high demand times.
Its not a real great or permanent solution but it works. I used mine for 2 years but eventually burned the motor up from the usage. But since the compressor was 8 years old before it got the reserve tank, I figure it was worth it.
I will be buying the absolutely biggest, highest CFM, 175 PSI 2 stage compressor I can afford when I get around to replacing the old one. You CAN'T go too big...

BTW, I'll also never buy a direct-drive, oil-less compressor again. I like to be able to think while the compressor is running.

I'm not sure I kinda like my oxy-acetylene torch, I cant count how many broken bolts I've gotten out with that thing. I would settle for a smaller compressor in order to get that.

I would only get a rotary screw (expensive) or piston compressor. No oilless compressor for me, had one and hated how loud it was. Not to mention they have low CFM ratings. Also look for a 15 cfm @ 150 psi. as a minimum. The cheaper air tools will last if you oil them all the time.
Torch v/s compressor, good debate. I have done a lot with mapp gas in a pinch. I guess I would want both, but first would be a good compressor because I would use it more often.

Hello Ggg and welcome to our site! :chug: Glad to see you join and we hope you enjoy our new CJ adventure!

I'm kinda glad you resurrected this thread as I'm in need of a new compressor. I just had and old Sears 110v beast that just died on me. The motor is struggling and the compressor needs new rings.

I'm probably going to be picking up this compressor to replace 'old faithful'. It's a bit over $1000, but it is stocked around the corner and I have 220v wired in my garage...

Tractor Supply Company - Ingersoll Rand 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor, 5 HP

Thanks for the welcome CJ
That is a very nice compressor you linked to. I have it's gas engine driven big brother in my service truck. IR 80 gal, 25cfm @ 175 psi. I can almost remove semi budd wheel lugs with my 1/2" impact. The only tools that I can think of that will tax your compressor it is an arc air torch and a sand blast cabinet.
I think it goes without saying 220v not 110 for welders and compressors.

I almost went down and picked up that compressor last night but decided to sleep on it. I didn't think it would be a good idea to make a $1300 impulse buy.

My current compressor barely scrapes up 125 psi and it can't stay there for very long and it get's me by... So - I did a little more shopping this morning. I found a much more suitable compressor for my garage. Only 135 psi but flows 18 CFM @ 90 and it's rated cor continuous at the 90 psi spec. Best of all, $900, free shipping and no tax. :)

It's an IR also... FREE SHIPPING — Ingersoll Rand Electric Stationary Air Compressor — 5 HP, 18.1 CFM @ 90 PSI, 230 Volt, Model# SS5L5 | 10 - 30 CFM | Northern Tool + Equipment

I think I'll pull the trigger on this one today...

I had to looki to make sure its a cast iron pump. But it is, so that looks like a killer deal.
I might have to think about that one if I ever get 220 wired to my slab/work area.

As far as the compressor mentioned in post #10. I would find out what cfm it flows at 135psi. The cfm will drop considerably on a single stage pump once above its optimum psi. in this case 90. Also a single stage will require a bit more start up amperage than a two stage pump.
I wish the site gave better specs for the first 2 stage IR compressor that CJ linked to. That would make or a better comparison.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks