i Need some Blower Switch and Parking Brake light help, please

TexasBlues

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5
AMC 360
AMC 20 and Dana 30
disc brake conversion COMPLETE by adding CJ7 W I D E Track axles... totally disassembled,
1979 JEEP CJ5 AMC 360, Project #2
1995 Chevy Tahoe,
2005 Chevy Tahoe,
1998 Toyota Tacoma (wifes truck)
HEY!

im on the tail end of getting the dash 100% wired... 76 CJ5

got the wiper motor working with the original motor/pigtail and a self ground... 2 speeds, im pleased...

im now trying to get the parking brake lite wired... i have replaced the cluster with individual LEDs... i am using a painless kit...

one wire 760, tan, at the firewall forward is labeled to pressure switch... is also the proportioning valve?

in the cockpit, wire 760, tan, says to emer brake indicator

wire 761, also tan, says emer brake indicator B+...

i have the parking brake that has what looks to be a bullet pin on the switch to turn the light on... i am stumped as to where to start with this...

ALSO... the blower... the blower jumps with 12V applied directly, but doesnt spin... it looks like it WANTS to, but wont STAY spinning... movement is clear, box rebuilt...

i have the switch with 5 spades on the back OEM replacement (i think)... NOTHING in the harness is wired as a blower component... and what is this i keep reading about a resistor? i never saw a resistor when i rebuilt the blower box

anything anyone can offer will be MOST appreciated

The black wires from the emergency brake light switch and the prop valve go to the brake light in the cluster. The power for that light comes from the seat belt fuse and when the emergency brake is on or the prop valve operation quits working right that black wire is grounded out and the brake light on the cluster comes on. From my experience those led lights require less than 12v to work and need a resistor to cut down the volts to them. I would think you would have got a wiring diagram to help you with the wiper motor with that Painful wiring kit. A store like a Radio Shack with someone who know Ohms law could figure what resistor you need for the lights. Good Luck!

Painless kits are not painless. Now that I've got that out of my system........

Let's start with the easy one. The resister in the heater box is behind the horse shoe looking piece on the right front of the heater box assembly. It varies the speed of the fan motor.

HeaterResistorPackLocation_zps30i0f2mg.jpg

Next you should have a good original wiring diagram. I suggest Prospero's Garage

The emergency brake indicator needs two wires. One for the power or +12v, and one from the parking brake that is a ground switch wire.

The blower motor switch has three wires that run to the resister in the picture and one to the fuse box. I believe the fifth is a ground.

The tan wire in the engine compartment is probably the oil pressure switch, but that's just a guess since Painless uses their own colors.

Again I suggest you get a good wiring diagram and compare it to the painless diagram to make sure everything is correctly hooked up.

PS: The tan wire may be the wire going to the brake portioning valve.

i will apologize in advance, this may come off as somewhat pi55y... this 5hit is driving me nuts...

im going to have to add photos, and i SHOULD have done that to begin with...

i have the prosperos schematic... somewhat helpful... and i also have a TSM and a TSM schematic... however, what i have in real life doesnt match either publication

ALL of the LEDs work fine, and i have not added resistors..

thanks for your input, both of you... i will add photos tomorrow (monday) PM

i HAVE no resistor, unless the big ceramic thing in the painful kit is a new replacement (ill post that too)

if i had it to do over again... i would have bought a malibu!

Last edited:
Hang in there man if it was easy everybody would be doing it :chug:

There is no resistor on the 76-77 CJ heater blower.

Painless kits for CJ's are tailored more to the 78-86 model years. You will have to do some Hack Fabricating if you want to use the original heater assembly.

Also tell us which Painless kit you used, so we can look at it's diagram too.

There is no resistor on the 76-77 CJ heater blower.

Painless kits for CJ's are tailored more to the 78-86 model years. You will have to do some Hack Fabricating if you want to use the original heater assembly.

@HackFabrication... got your post on the other site... thanks SO much... modifying the bracket is painfully obvious that i couldnt see it...

:censored:

thx mtnwhlr... i AM trying!

Also tell us which Painless kit you used, so we can look at it's diagram too.

i'll have to look it up tonight

i'll post the kit # along with some photos

thanks Peanut Butter

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks