help needed with vin number

help needed with vin number

llamedos

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
cj6, 3 speed manual
We've just got a CJ6 with this vin number, J8 A18 NN 05 1060, but it doesn't make much sense to us as it is a LHD manual floor 3 speed version with 1 transmition lever and the vin infers it's an auto Cherokee, 4 Door, 109" Wheelbase and It was imported into the UK in1978.
Can anyone help throw any light on this.
Thanks, Steve

That vin tag does not belong on your CJ6. I'm guessing someone, at some point removed a tag from a full size Jeep and attached it the your CJ6. Some folks do some crazy things to get paper work on Jeep that otherwise didn't have any, or to sell to an unsuspecting buyer.

The vin you posted also states it comes with a 360 engine as well. Do you mind posting some pics? They could help ID it.

The VIN does show as a FSJ 1978 Cherokee with 4 doors. Maybe you have a “hot” jeep so to speak. What better way to fence off a stolen vehicle than to ship it out of the country but without changing the VIN it may have been caught at the docks as stolen before it was put on the boat. There will also be a copy of the VIN number stamped on the frame; try looking on top of the frame rail at the right rear wheel well. Here are a couple of links to VIN numbers:

http://www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com/jeep_2.html

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/VIN-jeep-cj-1971-1986.htm

If your still having trouble decoding the vin you can use this thread to decipher what you have. Just click on anything written in red to show you pics and details of whatever it is you clicked.

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f102/cj-6-a-12026/

We've just got a CJ6 with this vin number, J8 A18 NN 05 1060, but it doesn't make much sense to us as it is a LHD manual floor 3 speed version with 1 transmition lever and the vin infers it's an auto Cherokee, 4 Door, 109" Wheelbase and It was imported into the UK in1978.
Can anyone help throw any light on this.
Thanks, Steve

Thanks for the replies to the post about my sons CJ6 and the vin number, I have had to re-register as have never been able to log back on to the forum.
Also I made a mistake with the original post, the CJ6 is right hand drive and doesn't look to have been converted from LHD.
Thanks, Steve

Simple-Someone at sometime switch'd VIN plates.
The CJ6 was stolen at some point, is my guess.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks