Headers - installing rectangular port headers onto dog leg port heads

Bill303

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5
304ci
3 spd
I've got the 304 in my '76 CJ5. Have tried two sets of the Summit Racing fenderwell headers - which btw are the FlowTech headers, just sold as their brand.
Both sets of the FlowTech's fit improperly. On the driver's side the collector flange was hard up against the underside of the body, while the passenger side hung correctly about 2.5" under ..

Next step up in price are the Hookers, but the Hookers are a rectangular port.
The AMC heads are dog leg ports.

Any issue with putting the rectangular on the dog leg?

I don’t think they will fit but a quick way to verity would be to buy a set of gaskets and check them on your heads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems odd that Hooker would make headers that don't fit the heads. I would try to call them and verify. My hunch is they are actually dog leg ports but they call them rectangular (more rectangle than round).

Rectangular port heads a for gen 2 years, 19676 to 1970. Gen 3 1970 and up are dog leg. I have headman headers and hooked. Both are gen 3 but are not shorties.
Putting gen 2 headers on gen 3 heads negates all of the advantages of the higher flowing dog leg ports.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks