Hard to start and black smoke

Hard to start and black smoke

Gungho

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 cj5 258 straight 6, 3 speed manual, hei distributor, motorcraft 2100 carb with electric choke.
I have '78 CJ5 that I've only had for two months. I'm slowly learning the ins and outs. Jeep is mostly stock. 258 engine. I believe the carb is new but I'm not sure of what type. It's always started right up, but now sometimes it's having problems. I'll have to push gas pedal all the way down and let the engine turn over until it starts. When it does start, black smoke comes out. The black smoke only comes out right after starting. Any ideas? Thanks

:ww: :dbanana:

I'll bet it's your choke setting with the cooler weather.
How does it start up when the engine is warm?
Let me suggest you fill out the Jeep Data base section at the top of the page, so we can more easily help you.
LG

To determine a fuel mixture issue, I would suggest checking the fuel burn on the spark plugs after it is warmed up. Check the tailpipe for excessive soot also.

I'd check the chock first. Black smoke means excess fuel not burned most of the time.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the choke and plugs. Another thing I noticed is that it has a strong raw fuel smell if I park it too soon after these episodes. The carburetor is a Carter yf that has been rebuilt by the previous owner. Could this be a carb issue? I can't tell 100% where the smell is coming from, but I think it maybe coming from the carb.

I have heard about numerous issues where guys try to save a few bucks by rebuilding their own carbs and seem to get lost when it comes to float settings. This will cause too much fuel to go into the combustion chambers. A carb choke set incorrectly will have the same effect. Your issue could be just a stuck choke also as previously stated.

YES the carb could well be the issue.
Have you checked the evap canister and fuel tank connections for leaks?
Strongly urge you to buy a copy of the REAL factory service manual, MR-252.
LG

Semper Fi, Gungho. I've got a '78 CJ5 as well. It has a Carter AFB on a 360 though. I was chasing a gremlin like this from last spring to this summer. Not only was it a float issue but the motor had developed carbon in the cylinder head around the no. 2 intake valve making it stick open. Finally got it all together when my speedomter went kaput. I hope yours is an easier hump.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks