Hanging an axe or shovel from rollbar

Hanging an axe or shovel from rollbar

VT Woodsman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 cj7 304 v8 , 4speed which i think is out of a newer cj. Im pretty sure it has a stock transfer case.
Anyone have an axe or shovel onboard? How do you attach it? Also what other gear would be good to carry with you for backwoods exploration.

I carry a military style folding shovel in an onboard box that does get used. Going wheeling where the trees are can be a problem where a huge tree has fallen across the trail and there is no way to get around it. So getting it out of the way depends on the equipment you brought and how well you know how to use it. Stuff like a bow saw, 18 volt saw, winch with all the accessories, and a gas powered chain saw should get you through most problems. Or, you can just turn around and sometimes even that can be quite a challenge. Going with friends can help also.

I guess it depends on how much room you have and how far from help you might be. Carry a phone, you might get service.
I have a wooden box in the Jeep behind the seat, flush with the fenderwells. In it is always a folding E-tool as mentioned above. A folding saw, a first aid kit, a 1 ton bottle jack, a qt. of engine oil, a qt. of gear oil, a bit of stiff wire, a roll of duct tape, some clevises, a snatch block, a tree strap and a snatch strap, a 1 ton come-a-long, a tarp, and a small air compressor. And the winch is already "on board".
If I were venturing off in a lone vehicle "exploring" I would probably attach the Hi-lift, a larger shovel, a chain saw, and another snatch block. An axe would work if no chainsaw can be had.

I think the spare tyre is a better spot to hang them off something like this is pretty common on most touring (expedition) style 4x4's

AxeShovelHolder%20%281%29.jpg

Its simple keeps them from flying near your head in an accident and easy to grab when needed

I carry a military style folding shovel .

X2. I picked one up a military surplus store.

I have most of my stuff in saddle bags I picked up not too long ago. Of course you need tools and at least basic repair parts like u joints, farm jack (which can double as a winch to pull you out or the log out of the way:cool:), tire plugs, knife, flashlight, and an easy way to start fire like magnesium.

I'm in AZ so I also carry a tarp for shade, water and energy bars along with abut a 50 other little things that just stay in there now. :chug:

I also have a folding shovel that I keep at my drivers door. It would be nice to bring a bigger shovel if I were to secure it on my spare tire or somewhere.

Sometimes I also bring an ax that I also put in the doorway. The end of the ax jams between the rollbar and the body. It stays there pretty good but I should also secure it in case of a roll over. I wouldn't want to loose my head over it.

But what I use most often is my saw. Especially in the spring I often encounter trees that have fallen across the trail. I secure that in the back with a velcro strap that I screwed to my inner wheel well.
6095931206_67b911f449_o_d.jpg

Carry what you think is reasonable, but sometimes you just have to turn around. Always make sure you can do that, because backing up sometimes gets dangerous.

If anyone has a pic id love to see some rigs done up for the trail.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks