Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
4.2L i6 258
T-176
Dana 300
AMC 20 rear and Dana 30 front
I am in need a glove box. My door is still attached to the dash so I think that all I need is the actual box that mounts behind the dash. I found all kinds of plastic ones online but have not seen any metal ones. Was the original metal or plastic and does anyone have experience with the plastic ones?

Get a plastic one. The original one was made of cardboard and if your windsheild leaked is was like a sponge. Never seen a metal one offered anywhere.

I believe Tuffy has a metal locking Glove Box, like all tuffy products be ready to spend some money. Their products are worth it though.

The plastic ones have been around for a very long time. Talk about being over priced. I think they are all made by the same company. I say they, there are only two types, the old standard one that has just the right slope to the box to dump everything out and an over sized version. I've been going to make a metal box, but haven't gotten around to it yet. A friend cut down an Ammo can for a box. It could use some refinement, but it works.

Last edited:
We bought one of the plastic ones on eBay for a reasonable price but I forget how much.
Correct me if I am wrong but it has to go in from the back, yes?
We are going to wait until we pull the heater box out to coat the floor and re-seal the box.

Yes, from the back. Be careful with that heater box. They are frail, old and brittle, I.E. easily broken beyond repair. .... Well I suppose you could get some fiberglass and patch her back together easily enough. I removed mine last summer. The PO installed a radio antenna with a hole drilled (that is a kind word for it) in the box that I was unaware of and he put a tab of metal on the floor I knew nothing about that hung up on the heater box. I thought I was being gentle with the thing, but it was destroyed before getting it out. Luckily Rob at Willys Works had a couple in the back.

if you hold your mouth just right it goes in from the back with not a lot of trouble. getting it to line up with the screw tabs is another matter.:D

My plastic one did not have any mounting holes in it. The screws go from the inside of the box outward. Self tapping Malco sheet metal screws.

I pulled the dash panel loose and slipped right in.

Last edited:
Doorman makes many different ones. Here is a example.

Dorman - HELP Rubber Bumper Assortment

The plastic ones (without a new door) are available for about $20 (Omix # 13316.01 for example). For between $150 - $200 you can get a steel locking glove box (box with door) from Tuffy (# 035-01). Like "Kingofwood" said, they would be easy to make if you have the means to make some straight bends and a few small welds. For the rubber bumpers, you can get them here: Rubber Bumper Inserts

(Link)-> Metro Moulded Parts -<
Their website won't let me post a direct link to the parts, but click on "Universal Parts" on the left side. Then "Bumpers", then "Snap-In". That will bring you to a couple dozen different choices in all shapes and sizes, none expensive at all. Pretty sure SB-36 (assorted set) is what you need, interior bumpers for 3/16" hole.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks