Help gas tank filler hose for a 1977 CJ 5

MTS # CJFH-2 (if you have the standard 15 gallon tank:
Fuel Filler Hose

And here's the vent hose:
Vent Hose Link

They also have a kit with hoses, clamps, and mounts:
Fuel Inlet/Vent Kit

Thanks for your rapid response. I can"t locate the original parts at the moment and I know that these are what the catalog calls for. These however are not the parts that I took off the vehicle. When I find the photos I will post them. I understand that in 1977 there were some oddball parts. This year's jeeps always leaked out the filler hose and that I needed to pull up on a block to lean the jeep toward the tank and to fill it slowly so as not to lose gas and make a mess.

I have a complete set from MTS for my '76, should be the same (the small round filler cap). I bought the 20 GAL tank and MTS gave me the wrong part numbers.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll take pics and verify what part numbers I have.

If you have the newer recessed filler cap, you'll need different parts.

Dave

I have a complete set from MTS for my '76, should be the same (the small round filler cap). I bought the 20 GAL tank and MTS gave me the wrong part numbers.
If you're interested, let me know and I'll take pics and verify what part numbers I have.

If you have the newer recessed filler cap, you'll need different parts.

Dave
Thank you for the reply. Pictures would be very helpful. I am interested, what kind of shape are the hoses in?

The hoses are all new. MTS gave me the part numbers for the 15 gallon steel tank, I have the 20 gallon plastic tank and they don't fit. These will fit the small round filler neck, not the newer style rectangle recess style.
CJFH-4 filler hose,
CJVH-4 vent hose,
CJFHN-1, the steel nipple that mates the hoses.

Attachments

• Jeep filler hoses.jpg
    Jeep filler hoses.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
The hoses are all new. MTS gave me the part numbers for the 15 gallon steel tank, I have the 20 gallon plastic tank and they don't fit. These will fit the small round filler neck, not the newer style rectangle recess style.
CJFH-4 filler hose,
CJVH-4 vent hose,
CJFHN-1, the steel nipple that mates the hoses.
Thank you everyone. I have two new sets of these which will not work. Perhaps what I have is something for California I will have to find the old parts to compare to.

Post a pic of what you have - the tank connections and the filler body. For that vintage, there's only 2 oem styles, assuming you have the stock 15 gal steel tank.

This is the '76-ish (old style) filler. The vent joins the filler tube with a nipple.
1701352938345.png

This is the later models. I don't know when the change was made, and I'm sure like everything else from the mid 70;s, there were overlap years.
The vent has its own nipple on the neck.

1701353098266.png

I scratched my head over this more than a decade ago. I ended up getting the right size hoses from a local industrial gas pump supplier and did my own. As for the bend, a new commercial grade hose will conform to the radius without a bend. I have the larger plastic tank. No issues since then.

I scratched my head over this more than a decade ago. I ended up getting the right size hoses from a local industrial gas pump supplier and did my own. As for the bend, a new commercial grade hose will conform to the radius without a bend. I have the larger plastic tank. No issues since then.
I did similar and actually upgraded with a recessed junkyard swapped "inset" from a truck. Didn't like the cap sticking out where I like to hit rocks :rofl:

I did similar and actually upgraded with a recessed junkyard swapped "inset" from a truck. Didn't like the cap sticking out where I like to hit rocks :rofl:
Back when my mechanic "fixed" it, he crushed the already-brittle filler hose. When it was re-installed the fuel system would not pressurise thus failing the smog test. I was so disgusted that I dropped the project. Thank you Patrick and JR74 for providing an answer to this dilemma.

Back when my mechanic "fixed" it, he crushed the already-brittle filler hose. When it was re-installed the fuel system would not pressurise thus failing the smog test. I was so disgusted that I dropped the project. Thank you Patrick and JR74 for providing an answer to this dilemma.
Oh I see - smog - I always forget about that having a pre-smog model... I remember seeing a few places that had good blowup diagrams for all those parts. I'll see if I can find that again later today... It's been a while since I searched.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks