Front Half Cage Tie In

Front Half Cage Tie In

sponge

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7, a minivan, and an Infiniti G37x
Anyone have any experience in buying a front half cage kit to tie into your CJ/YJ roll bar?

Many of the companies that use to make them don't and I have found a couple small companies but not thrilled with the look.

I cant remember who made mine, its was the standard front hoop with bars to tie it in too the main roll bar and it bolted to the floor right in front of the parking brake AND on top of it they blocked off part of the door so when I went to swing my big fat feet out to bail out I would catch the roll bar and have a hell of a time. I just cut mine off a few weeks ago and Im going to tie mine in the the dash.
there are some on fleabay.

Come to think of it Sponge, also consider things to add to the front part of the cage. Like where the spreader bars are going to be located to clear the top and keep clear from banging your and passenger heads on it. Some guys put something in the center top area to mount a C.B. radio, ham radio, or other electrical componets. Also consider some sort of grab handle for easier entry into the C.J. You might also want to install some sort of rollcage padding too. Don't have any drilled holes into the bars as it will provide a serious weak point in the system.

Anyone have any experience in buying a front half cage kit to tie into your CJ/YJ roll bar?

Many of the companies that use to make them don't and I have found a couple small companies but not thrilled with the look.

Just looking for the front down tubes and a couple of cross braces?...............due to whatever you currently have???? for a roll bar.........and it's installed height......chances are none of these kits will probably fit correctly without some cutting and fitting.......These guys have a pretty good handle on the early Jeeps, Roll Cages , roll bars , CJ Roll Bars, CJ Add On Cages, Front Cage add on, cj front cage add on,willys roll bar,willys roll cage,mb roll cage,cj5 roll bar, cj5 roll cage, cj7 roll bar, cj7 roll cage...............

But if it was me I would find a hot rod, street rod or race car shop locally that has a tube bender and let him bend the down tubes for each side ......leaving some extra length at both ends , and you do the fitting.......you'll also need a way to notch the tube to get it to fit correctly ........the horizontal tubes can be straight so that is not an issue shot of the fitting........I like to use DOM but that's up to you!

Tried to post some pictures......but would not go through.

Unless you add support mounts under the floor. That front loop does you no good.
LG

There was a member on here that did that to his white Jeep. Looked really good. The company that he got it from used his Jeep in their picture. I want to say it was Gen-Right, but they now only make a full cage. That being said you know the difference between a show bar and a roll cage? The answer to this question will help determined what direction you should take.

If you want a show cage, find a used CJ7 bar and use it for the front hoop, or find a YJ setup.

If you want a cage, Gen-Right is a good place to start.

Also listen to Tarry, he knows what he is talking about.

I have spoke with genright and poison spyder, both stopped with the front hoops and only offer a full cage.

PS offers a YJ kit but I need to replace my A pillars with YJ...ugh

I have found two small shops that build front kits, one was extreme that Tarry linked to. both offer the options Tarry mentioned...and I can see in their pics knee room will be a struggle, and I am 6'3"

I see value in the bar across the top of the dash, handles, and frame tie in...can't decide if I want the additional bars overhead..

I know a local guy to build me a cage but hoping to get it done at the shop rebuilding my Jeep at the same time...but building a cage or doing a full cage will really hurt the old budget...

Wasn't counting on this to be my struggle...have had that YJ cage for over 10 years and these kits where everywhere then...

Last edited:
So, the shop V3 Jeep Shop in Louisville doing my restoration recommended me doing this - Rock Hard 4x4™ Bolt-In Ultimate Sport Cage for Jeep CJ7 1979 - 1986 [RH-1003]

They said this is what they would do unless I did a complete cage, and with no planned wheeling it is more than enough.

I am using a YJ family cage foe the back half.

Thoughts?

A Roll Cage is a Roll Cage or is it not?............Decide on what level of protection you would like to have.........If it is not mounted to the chassis in some form or another the level of protection can and will be jeopardized.......

If it's just for show......then so be it........No one ever knows when the next event may happen that requires that extra protection..........Lots of choices,
and don't forget a decent belt restraint system........cause if you don't remain with the vehicle none of those bars around you will make much difference.

Suggestion... What ever setup you use, have the company or yourself drill 1/2" holes where the next bar welds/bolts on and run some stainless steel wire thru the tubing as a pull string for wiring for your c/b, dome, speaker wires,.... Keeps it clean looking.

Suggestion... What ever setup you use, have the company or yourself drill 1/2" holes where the next bar welds/bolts on and run some stainless steel wire thru the tubing as a pull string for wiring for your c/b, dome, speaker wires,.... Keeps it clean looking.

Even if you don't run any wire, drill a couple of holes in each section so the tubing can 'breathe'. That reduces internal rusting.

LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks