Frame flex and front end shaking '64 CJ6

Frame flex and front end shaking '64 CJ6

JamestheJeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1964 CJ-6 with Dauntless V6, 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel, 2007 Jeep Wrangle JKU
Hello. I'm new to the CJ5/6 world. My 1964 CJ6 when I'm driving 40mph+ shakes from side to side in the front end. Also, the steering wheel shakes intermittently. I figured this could be a number of things such as all of the steering linkage needing to be rebuilt, could be tires, and could be wheel bearings. Any thoughts? All of this is going to be redone soon.

What concerns me most is something that I observed with the frame. I had my son sit in the driver seat and cycle the steering back and fourth as I lay under the Jeep to watch the linkage and steering components. I was checking for worn rod ends, knuckles etc. I only found that the pitman arm nut was loose. So anyway, as he would pull the steering one way, the whole frame would pull that way from about the fire wall forward. When he went back to center, so would the frame. When he went the other way, as did the frame again. IS THIS NORMAL? Is the frame that weak in the CJ5/6 or do you think I have a problem?

Yes. It is normal. they will do this when sitting still. Not so much when rolling.

Just remember what your dealing with. It's a 1964 utility vehicle that the condition is unknown.Good that you are looking and observing what is happening but I wouldn't judge to much by that alone. Unless it has had a documented ground up restoration you can expect it will need a lot of work to make it like it was in 1964.Not many jeep owners make that commitment. Maybe you will.Good luck with your project. mike:)

Thanks for the input. My plan is to make it right 100%. The last thing I want is for a catastrophic failure to kill or injure my family or me because I didn't want to rebuild the steering. I heard of a dude that had his tie rid snap and the wheels folded up going down the freeway. Poor guy died after the Jeep flipped end over end.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks