FRAME Cleaning

FRAME Cleaning

BrockGrimes

Jeep-CJ.com Archive Master
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
ON THE HUNT AGAIN
This might belong here move if needed.

How the :dung: do you clean out the mud and stuff in your frame rails?

I was thinking about plugging all the holes and just running water in one end and out the other.

Thoughts?

I have a length of hose with an adaptor to a short piece of copper tube attached. I hammered the end shut and drilled holes all around the pipe, and just shove it into the frame and crank up the water. As you draw it back out it almost acts like a brush, and all of the junk just dumps out of the holes. I have a flexable scope I use on jobs to look into walls, and stick that into the frame and have a look around, and It's nice and clean in there.

Once you get it clean, Por 15 is non porous and is supposed to act like a Teflon coating for mud. I also have sprayed the underside of my jeeps with 409 cleaner before i wheel. When you rinse it, the mud just falls off.

I can get piks, but It's stored away in the shed loft for the winter. No frame washing for a while yet!

I did the same thing for mine. I used 3/8" poly tubing from Home Depot, Took a 5/16" bolt and screwed it into the end of the poly tube, Then drill a bunch of random 3/32" holes arounf the last two inchs of the tube.

Hook up the other end to teh garden hose using an adapter you can get from Home Depot as well and snake the tubing inside the frame.

I used the same thing with a cheap pump up bug sprayer on the end to spray POR-15 inside my frame. Workd great.

i just used my 1200 psi pressure washer to clean the frame on the CJ7 this week. Just directed the pencil beam into the holes until the :dung: stopped coming out.
Apparently they beat on her in a mud hole before deciding to get rid of her. But I have only found a little bit of rust so far (at least on the frame!)

You can also get a flexible lance to attach to a pressure washer. Use a line cleaning tip on the lance & it will pull itself thru the frame. These can be purchased thru any dealer that sells pressure washers.

There's some really good ideas here. :notworthy:

This might belong here move if needed.

How the :dung: do you clean out the mud and stuff in your frame rails?

I was thinking about plugging all the holes and just running water in one end and out the other.

Thoughts?

this seemed to work pretty good over the weekend...This and the pressure washer.
Photo0480.png

Now to figure out how to get the insides really clean.

this seemed to work pretty good over the weekend...This and the pressure washer.
Photo0480.png

Now to figure out how to get the insides really clean.

now the real qustion is why isnt tha bronco in the back ground on a frame an d rolling

Its got a frame...sitting under the dirt! :laugh:
It belongs to the landlord, its a parts truck for his almost show-quality Bronco.
He won't let me have it! :cry:

Pics of flex lances in my album. Nozzle photo didn't come out. Nozzle should have 1 jet in the forward position, then 4,6 or 8 to the rear, angled outward,these are called "pullers". The forward jet opens a hole thru the debris, then the pullers pull the lance forward while flushing the debris out of the frame. I STRONGLY recommend adapting the flex lance to your gun trigger so you have a means to shut off the water flow. Even these so called "low pressure" machines will cut you & a water cut is the worst cut you can receive. Boogers in the water that will really fuc_ up your blood. We have special cards we must carry to present to the droctor if we have a water cut. You will need to know the gpm & pressure to get the correct nozzle.

Good tips for keeping things clean, although a pressure washer may not get it ALL out of there, for the most part it should be clean. That reminds me, I should run it through in the morning and let it air dry for most of the day so it wont rust!

Fresh meatal sitting out side will rust if not preped in one day
well it did in alaska
fresh welds an metal rusted after being out side over night, surface rust that just brushed off but still had rust on it

I cleaned mine this weekend with a setup described here. The frame is clean, but I got soaked to the bone doing it LOL.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks