Flex fan

Flex fan

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
This thing is obnoxious. It is loud then it's gets louder the faster it moves. Any quieter alternatives?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This thing is obnoxious. It is loud then it's gets louder the faster it moves. Any quieter alternatives?

I assume that you think that the stock steel fan is too noisy. True. It is also a power robber. I bolted in a Flexalite fan with a spacer and have no issues.

Flexalite with clutch or just spacer? Thinking of going electric. Any converts that are happy with their electric fan? Just worried that if the fan motor gets wet or gives up, I'm screwed

For a daily driver I wouldn't use an electric fan. That's my opinion. The flex fan doesn't use a clutch. The blades strighten as rpms increase. The spacer depends on the engine and vehicle. Flexalite recommends what to use for each application.

I have a dpacer and good clearance without the need for shroud. I guess flex is doing its job.

Those flex fans are noisy because the blades are evenly spaced. You'll notice a stock clutch fan has blades that are not evenly spaced. They definitely cool well.

I picked up a flex a lite dual fan set up that bolts right up to the Jeep radiator. Ordered a controller with it which was almost as much as the damn fan. Works good and kept me cool driving through town with 110* temps. Got all of the equipment from Amazon.

I like electric fans. right now I run 2 10" fans for the best coverage of the coil. They are a bit noisy I guess but not a big deal. they only run when you need them , the engine warms faster, and with two I have some redundancy .

I run an electric, 2400 cfm. the biggest one I could fit with my 350, and glass front end. It can not keep the motor cool under a load. I'd run a reg. fan if I could.
If the stock fan keeps it cool I'd stick with that unless you plan on driving through deep water.

have you thought about running an oil cooler?

I understand that can make a major difference.:cool:

I run an electric, 2400 cfm. the biggest one I could fit with my 350, and glass front end. It can not keep the motor cool under a load. I'd run a reg. fan if I could.
If the stock fan keeps it cool I'd stick with that unless you plan on driving through deep water.

Yes I have if your talking about engine oil. I'd like to get one of the ones with the little fan mounted to it. I just can't figure a good place to mount it.:wtf:

I thought you were happy with your fans old dog?

Mine has always wanted to run hot, no matter what fan (or anything else I've tried).
I haven't had any problems with my electric fan, and it's nice to be able to turn it on when the engine is shut off.
Helps cool it off quicker that way.:D

Last edited:
I always though factory fans were spaced oddly so there would we a wide space to access things like fan bolts.

Anyway, a flex fan will be loud. A factory fan on a clutch can be very loud also when the clutch "engages". I run a Contour dual electric fan setup, mostly because my engine doesn't have a water pump pulley to mount a fan to. They keep it cool and I have used my CJ as a DD with no worries about them failing. I've had many fan clutches fail, but never an electric fan. The motors can handle water. They get wet from just their location. So I guess is the noise worth fixing something that currently works?

If you can locate an electric fan from a 98 Grand cherokee with the V8 engine you can modify it to fit It is a shroud with a 2 speed fan built in. 98 is the only year they used them. High speed on them is like a tornado.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks