Fender Flares: Too big, too much body cutting

Fender Flares: Too big, too much body cutting

jonboy1919

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 Renegade, 304cid, MC 2150 Carb, TH400 tranny, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 front w/lock right, Dana 44 rear w/truetrack locker, 33x12.5 Goodrich's, Warn 8k, onboard air, Motorcraft TFI ignition upgrade, WipeBoy wiper upgrade, Painless wiring harness, backup lamps, Driving lamps, YJ brake booster and MC upgrade swap, Rear tow hitch
I wanted to install larger fender flares on my 1979 CJ7. I purchased from a well-known site the Rugged Ridge 6-inch flares. Upon receiving the flares, I held them up against my CJ and they were HUGE!

The instructions said I may have to cut some of my CJ body under the flares. If I were to cut the material out under these HUGE flares, I would be cutting into the tub's interior :eek:!! I questioned the seller if they sent the correct flares and the answer was yes.

Has any of my CJ brothers or sisters actually installed these overly large flares AND cut out the metal beneath the flares?

I would love to see photos if you could and read your trials and tribulations along the journey to get them to look good.

Any links as well would be appreciated.

Thanks

looks about right for a set of TJ style flares. I cut my rear fenders out as far as I could go to install mine (they are off a stock TJ). As for the fronts, i stayed with stock CJ flares, but cut the rear of the fender out. You might be able to bend the flares just a little to minimize the cutting you need to do.

Another thought- what size tires are you planning on running? those are pretty big flares for your current tires.
Here is a pic of my '74 CJ5 with TJ flares, with 35" tires.
SANY0174.jpg

It looks like you have a nice CJ and to hack the tub and fenders up to make those plastic flairs fit would be a CRIME!
Just my 2 cents.;)

It looks like you have a nice CJ and to hack the tub and fenders up to make those plastic flairs fit would be a CRIME!
Just my 2 cents.;)

I do not want to hack at all, that is why I was hoping somebody made a flare for the CJ Jeeps, you know, round, so as to get a better fit WITHOUT cutting, or at least minimal cutting.

looks about right for a set of TJ style flares. I cut my rear fenders out as far as I could go to install mine (they are off a stock TJ). As for the fronts, i stayed with stock CJ flares, but cut the rear of the fender out. You might be able to bend the flares just a little to minimize the cutting you need to do.

Another thought- what size tires are you planning on running? those are pretty big flares for your current tires.
Here is a pic of my '74 CJ5 with TJ flares, with 35" tires.
SANY0174.jpg

Gonna keep my 33.5" tires, just wanted to keep the mud and spray off my wife's hair while wheeling. Probably gonna send these flares back, too much cutting to my special boy.

I have Bestop flairs on mine. They cover well and no cutting required.:chug:

I have Bestop flairs on mine. They cover well and no cutting required.:chug:

Thanks Old Dog, how wide are your Bestop flares? Where did you get them? How much? Hard to tell the width on the photo.

Also take a look at 73CJ's tube fenders, very nice! I doubt they are cheap but another option.

Thanks Old Dog, how wide are your Bestop flares? Where did you get them? How much? Hard to tell the width on the photo.

I believe they are 4" wide.
I don't remember which 4x4 store I got them from, but I tried to find some for you and all I see now is a "high rock" or something like that, it looks much like what you bought. The bestop web site doesn't even list the type I have. :mad:

I've seen guy's that used that black garden edging that they sell at lowes or home depot
looks pretty good

No problem. I did this research allready for my Scrambler build so why not share.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks