Early TH-400 to 258

Early TH-400 to 258

gr8cj8

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 258-6 dual port Offenhauser intake with 390 cfm holley 4 bbl. carb. dual header clifford exhaust. early AMC housed th-400 with adaptor ring. Dana 20 transfercase and stock differentials.
I have an early Turbo 400 with the adaptor ring and Dana 20 Im having troubles making work in my Scrambler.

The problem is when I get to installing the flexplate, the flexplate lines up perfectly with the starter but when I bolt it up to the torque convertor it pulls it out of the Tranny a 1/2 an inch to far so it wont engage.

My engine is the 258 and hopefully someone out there has done the same and may have some input.

I have an early Turbo 400 with the adaptor ring and Dana 20 Im having troubles making work in my Scrambler.

The problem is when I get to installing the flexplate, the flexplate lines up perfectly with the starter but when I bolt it up to the torque convertor it pulls it out of the Tranny a 1/2 an inch to far so it wont engage.

My engine is the 258 and hopefully someone out there has done the same and may have some input.

The flexplate bolts to the crank at the small diameter. At the outer edge it bolts to the converter. So there is no way that it can be pulled back by the converter because it is bolted to the crank. I can see the converter moving out a 1/2 inch but not the FP.

The flexplate bolts to the crank at the small diameter. At the outer edge it bolts to the converter. So there is no way that it can be pulled back by the converter because it is bolted to the crank. I can see the converter moving out a 1/2 inch but not the FP.

Wow, thank you teacher! I came here for some help not corrections.

Its obvious I made a mistake, yes the torque convertor pulls out so if youve come to this board to give people a hard time and no answers and I really appreciate that.

Wow, thank you teacher! I came here for some help not corrections.

Its obvious I made a mistake, yes the torque convertor pulls out so if youve come to this board to give people a hard time and no answers and I really appreciate that.
Lighten up Frances ;) ;) (A favorite movie quote :) ) Knock off the sarcasm - it's not needed, I thought the post fzsk4p gave was spot on. I was confused as well by your post. It wasn't obvious to me you made a mistake as there could have been other problems. If you ask for info, try and give accurate
information. This post is just to help us help you.

Your post is still vague, I think what you are saying that 'it' (the torque converter) will not engage the pump on the trans. Right?

I have never used and adapter ring but I would assume that a standard torque converter would only work if you had some sort of spacer that was the same thickness as the spacer or a special converter with a long snout or welded on spacers to account for the new ring.

Who makes the ring and how thick is it?

Lighten up Frances ;) ;) (A favorite movie quote :) ) Knock off the sarcasm - it's not needed, I thought the post fzsk4p gave was spot on. I was confused as well by your post. It wasn't obvious to me you made a mistake as there could have been other problems. If you ask for info, try and give accurate

Your post is still vague, I think what you are saying that 'it' (the torque converter) will not engage the pump on the trans. Right?

I have never used and adapter ring but I would assume that a standard torque converter would only work if you had some sort of spacer that was the same thickness as the spacer or a special converter with a long snout or welded on spacers to account for the new ring.

Thanks CJ.

In the early 70's, the FSJs had a spacer adapter to go between the AMC bolt pattern block and the "universal" pattern bellhousing. I'm not sure but I believe that they used a flex plate that also came with a spacer. If you don't have the spacer for the flex plate, the torque converter would pull out like you are seeing.

It could also be that in those early days they used a specific flywheel to go with the adapter ring. That would build in the spacing you need to run with the adapter ring. When they switched to an AMC pattern transmission case they would have changed the flex plate. Obviously they wouldn't be interchangable.

If there isn't someone here who knows, you chould check over at the full size Jeep boards: International Full Size Jeep Association to see if some of them know exactly what you need.

At first what CJ was saying is what I thought the question was. A spacer of some sort needed for the converter bolts.

What threw me is the OP`s reference to the starter and "something" getting pulled out by a half inch. To me it sounded like the FP getting pulled back and not engaging the starter.

Derf makes a good post on the FSJ`s and the universal adapter plate/concoctions needed to bolt everything up.

Hopefully the OP will come back and explain his issue again.

Thanks, I think Im going to resolve my problem eventualy and may start a new thread based on it.

Right now Im about to go to a Transmission shop here in anchorage to check out a 1973 flexplate and see if its different than the one I have now.

There were 3 TH-400 Transmissions made.
1. Your typical GM TH-400
2. The AMC housed TH-400
3. The early Universal housed TH-400 that could be purchased by other auto makers like Jaguar and AMC that would provide thier own adaptor ring for thier applications.

Derf you are correct

Oh CJ the gentleman that responded to my post has no idea what hes talking about in my mind when it comes to CJ's because he doesnt even own one. He was just responding to respond.

I shouldnt even have have become sensitive and left it alone but let my pride get in the way.

Then I realized you were the first member and an admin. You of all people should know better than participate in such a thing.

I recieved 1 respectable comment and I appologized for my inappropriate behavior and forgive you for yours.

Oh CJ the gentleman that responded to my post has no idea what hes talking about in my mind when it comes to CJ's because he doesnt even own one. He was just responding to respond.

I shouldnt even have have become sensitive and left it alone but let my pride get in the way.

Then I realized you were the first member and an admin. You of all people should know better than participate in such a thing.

I recieved 1 respectable comment and I appologized for my inappropriate behavior and forgive you for yours.

What a kind thoughtful person.

Guess a YJ doesn't count cause it is a totally different breed, right ? I mean they are put together completely different then a CJ. And a CJ engine/trans is completely different then any other.

Wonder how I managed to mount up an NV4500 to a stroker 4.0 ? Dumb luck `eh ?

30 years in performance builds. Hell maybe I should go to Vegas with that luck.

I shouldn't even have have become sensitive and left it alone but let my pride get in the way.

"appologized " SP accepted, I really think you need to evaluate the level of your posts.

I purchased my 1st CJ in 76 - it was a 72 - the first 'new' version. I still own it! I have helped hundreds of CJ owners with their Jeeps.

When you can walk a 38 plus year of working with CJ's - give me a call... (I Just PM ed you my #) Other then that - STFU what ever site owner would do that (Give you their phone #)
?} - Because I own and run this site ... Nuff said? (from a Georgia redneck geek) who owns and works on CJ's all the time - damn I'm pissed off!

In two post's you have troubled me. You have my phone # to rectify that situation. I would expect you to do the correct thing.

Fzsk4p is a respected and very knowledgable member here if he responded to your post, and cj as well, then they were trying to help you. You need to lighten up, you asked for help, like it or not you asked for it. Take it or leave it, but there's no need to respond the way you did, that was rude as hell. That's my op.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Fzsk4p is a respected and very knowledgable member here if he responded to your post, and cj as well, then they were trying to help you. You need to lighten up, you asked for help, like it or not you asked for it. Take it or leave it, but there's no need to respond the way you did, that was rude as hell. That's my op.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Fzsk4p is awsome. He was the only person knowledgeable in this particular area and I commended him for it.

Im the kind of person that likes to move on and not look back. If more people want to jump on the band wagon of bashing on someone go right ahead but I believe forums are to help people not to let frustrations out.

Lets move on people

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks