Differential Locker Comparison Video

Differential Locker Comparison Video
Another thing that surprised me is that the Detroit Lockers guts are interchangeable with the Grizzly Lockers guts. They certainly don't look the same from the outside. ...... as a kid I certainly remember the lockers on the school bus BANG from time to time. Oddly enough it was the worst on straight roads.

Gert - The track lock in the front of my CJ certainly is impressive. The CJ drives just fine on hard ground, get in loose sand or mud, hit the skinny pedal and the front end grabs on and goes to work very impressively.

Good to hear, spent good deal of time pondering what to use in the front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just out of curiosity, none of you use the Torsen type locker? Looked like a good design to me.

T

Can't answer as to who has what, but part of it depends on where or if you wheel off-road.

For me, a torsion makes the most sense I think. I can see reasons for about all of them really. Not much of a lunchbox fan but again it depends on what you do and where.

I have done R&P work for many, many years. Don't know how the Gleeson is today. But at a time, breakage of the internal 'worm' gears was a common issue and there was a tire size limit. I have seen this breakage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEiSTzK-A2A
LG

After watching some youtube videos on the Eaton LD it seems to me that the diff only unlocks in turns when at higher speeds but stays locked during very low speed turns. Am I wrong here?

After watching some youtube videos on the Eaton LD it seems to me that the diff only unlocks in turns when at higher speeds but stays locked during very low speed turns. Am I wrong here?

I think the videos overdramatize the amount of spin differential needed to activate the trutrac. It's a very marginal amount needed.

Selectable Lockers

Open differentials offer better directional stability. This is much more true in Jeeps and other vehicles with a short wheelbase.
Off roaders like locking differentials because they are least likely to get you stuck. They may not move you in the direction you want to go but you're more likely to stay moving.
On the other hand open differentials are more likely to get you stuck but if you are moving they will keep you going in the direction you intend.

For example if someone has a locker in the rear and they give a little too much gas when going around a turn they will fishtail and maybe spin out.
If a vehicle has an open differential one tire may spin but the other tire will keep the vehicle going the correct direction.

If the locker is in the front be careful or the front end may just plow forward even when the wheels are steered to the side.
So if you drive you jeep on slick roads (rain or snow) I recommend an open differential, especially up front. If you take your jeep off road you may want a locker. A Limited slip is a good compromise. If you are serious about off-roading but still drive on the road get a selectable locker. You can keep it open most the time for better directional stability and you can lock it when you are worried about getting stuck. Even when off-road I keep my selectable locker (OX) disengaged until I encounter an obstacle that I think I might get stuck.
When I am driving along a side-hill and worried about sliding sideways I do NOT want a locker. I would want open differentials. This is why the selectable locker offers the best of both worlds. The downfall: selectable lockers are more expensive and a little more involved to install.

Also keep in mind that the part time transfer cases in most CJs will turn the front axle the same speed as the rear. So if you are climbing a hill with a locker in the rear, you won't spin a front tire unless you are also spinning both rear tires. That's another reason I think an open differential is fine in front.
When you are turning it's a different story. Then the front axle is forced to turn the same speed as the rear. Then a locker makes the jeep want to go strait. I have a Detroit Locker in the front of my CJ5. If I were to make a tight circle in a snowy field it will be a much bigger circle when I'm in four wheel drive. I need to shift into 2WD to make a tighter circle. A selectable locker would be better up front.

With all respect to Dave.
A clutch type LSD offers more directional stability than any other type of diff. in all-weather. The big reason folks go with 'open'. Is the fact that only about 10% of folks, understand how a diff. even works.
Hill climb, our front wheels will slip because of the weight transfer to the rear. The fact you have 2 front wheels pulling instead of the power switching back and forth from one side to the other should be obvious.
I know for a fact. After installing dozens of front LSD & DL type diffs in the front of CJ's over the decades. I have never had anyone tell me to take it out or that they were sorry they had it.
I for one saw a great improvement in 'Jeepability' of my CJ7, when I had a Power-Lock LSD in my OEM Dana 30. It got even better when I put in the DL.
I do play in the rocks a lot. My Jeep is also my DD.
Built your Jeep, for what you want to play in.
LG

I respectfully disagree. Any differential that can spin both tires will cause directional instability.
A Limited slip can spin both tires.
64524765-burn-out-marks-on-a-country-road.jpg
The driver of the above skid marks was fishtailing on purpose. It takes a bit of skill but no great feat. On the other hand if you give it a little too much gas when going around a turn (especially in slick conditions) and you are not ready when the tires break loose you may spin out with a Limited slip.
What the above picture shows is that when both tires on an axle break loose (locker or LSD) the vehicle can go sideways. You loose directional stability.

This next skid mark was an open differential pealing out.
ca311fb5090d938cffb5cbc3ffba98f3.jpg
With an open differential one tire will never spin. This will allow that tire to track right behind the front tires. You can still turn and have control.
It's true that if you turn really tight and fast the rear may still brake free but it's much less likely with an open differential.

For one final witness I would like to call Marisa Tomei to the witness stand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdJza0AbeA

Last edited:
LSD, Lockers and spools have been used in drag racing for decades.
Road racing cars also use LSD, as does NASCAR.
Having both tires grip, is an asset.

She was a great 'expert'. LOL

LG

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna have to have her go over the subject in further detail.

Attachments

• 149030-marisa-tomei-637x0-1.jpg
    149030-marisa-tomei-637x0-1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 37

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks