Trans Diagnosing shaking while driving-possibly flywheel

Trans Diagnosing shaking while driving-possibly flywheel

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
I think I figured out my issue. My jeep shakes like a terrier when the clutch is engaged and I am engine braking or when I am accelerating. If the clutch is engaged but I am just coasting the shaking stops. I have eliminated the driveshafts as the problem and all the wheels are newly balanced so that leaves me with the thought that the flywheel is off balance. I also get some clutch chatter when I start in first gear. The only thing I can think of is flywheel, or does anybody else have thoughts on what it might be?

Is the clutch slipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doesn't slip, just chatters when I let off the clutch in first

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

How are your motor mounts?
I think they are the original mounts. It doesn't shake when sitting still idling, only when I have the clutch engaged and the engine under load. That is why I tend to think it's the flywheel. I didn't replace or have the flywheel turned the last time I put a new clutch plate on but that was 2 1/2 years ago and this issue just started last week.

I had a similar problem loooong time ago o a 70 challenger. When I backed off in gear shook the whole driveline. Motor mounts are easier than flywheel. :)
:D

I will probably do both at the same time, motor mounts and flywheel since I have both on my PLL shelf

Doing both at the same time , you won't know what the problem is.
True, but if it fixes the issue I am giving serious thought to selling my jeep afterwards

True, but if it fixes the issue I am giving serious thought to selling my jeep afterwards

:eek:. 😂

If you must sell it do find another.

Well, while waiting for parts, I decided to pull off the inspection plate on the bell housing. The teeth are freshly worn along about a quarter of the circumference of tje flywheel

Do you have an update for your issue…

It turned out to in fact be the rear drive shaft. It felt tight and no play while on the vehicle but the rear u-joint fell apart when I took it off getting ready to pull the transmission.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom