TCase Dana 20 reversed shift pattern

Transfer case
TCase Dana 20 reversed shift pattern

Chipster123

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ7
Evening All, I’ve got a 76 CJ7, Chevy 350, 400 automatic transmission, Dana 20 transfer case (output case IS magnetic)… here’s my problem.
previous owner states (twice) transfer case shift pattern is - front to back: 2h, Neu, 4H, 4L.

I haven’t been able to put it up on jack stands yet to confirm.
Has anyone EVER heard of this shift pattern on a Dana 20 transfer case?

thanks, Best Regards,,, Chip

Never heard of such a thing, and never seen any knob or label that would show that pattern either.

dana20_shift_sticker.jpgdana20_shift_knob.jpg
Here's the one I struggle with :wtf::

shift_pattern.jpg

It has not "mutated" (that's impossible), it was between gears and in between N and 4L as many people find on the Dana 20 when the shift rails or pills wear from use. It's common.
How much play is in the shifter? 4H is there, your just not there yet. Try creaping forward in 2H at idle when pushing on the lever...
If you still cant get 4H crawl under and manually do it.

It has not "mutated" (that's impossible), it was between gears and in between N and 4L as many people find on the Dana 20 when the shift rails or pills wear from use. It's common.
How much play is in the shifter? 4H is there, your just not there yet. Try creaping forward in 2H at idle when pushing on the lever...
If you still cant get 4H crawl under and manually do it.
Thank you for the info, yah, I know in-animate steel cannot mutate, just didn’t have an appropriate semantic term in my one brain cell vocabulary at that moment. I’ll try the creeping suggestion, right after I fix the brake line that ruptured because it was rubbing on the inside of the tire. Going to use braided stainless to eliminate that possibility again. Well, that’s what I get for buying a Jeep at a yard/garage sale…..

"Well, that’s what I get for buying a Jeep at a yard/garage sale….."

No. That's what you get for buying an old Jeep, regardless of where. There's gonna be something, and then something else, and then...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks