Misc. Current Value of original CA 1984 CJ-7

Misc. Current Value of original CA 1984 CJ-7

Kinewords

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-7
Hey everyone,

A good friend of mine is selling an '84 CJ but has no idea what it's worth. It's an original CA Jeep and has been in SoCal it's entire life. No rust. It has the inline 6, automatic transmission, Howell fuel injection, 177K miles on the odo, new wheels and tires, original paint and orig. hardtop, doors, etc. The engine came from a Renegade a few years ago...and has roughly 37K miles on it. It drives like a champ. 4WD works great.

What do you think?

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 5.55.11 PM.png

Anyone looking for an original with matching numbers, etc would be disappointed. I do know folks that want to restore such a vehicle with original stuff. On the other hand, there are many (many many) folks who don't necessarily care about restoring to original condition, but instead want the body and frame to be in good shape (you said no rust on this one) and running good. That replacement engine with lower miles and fuel injection sounds good. The auto tranny might be a bit of a tougher sell. I have auto and love it. But I don't rock crawl or do mudding in my Jeep. Mine is a daily driver in Houston traffic and sees some camping and deer hunting trips for its offroad use.

Fully restored and fixed up nice (new paint, frame cleaned/painted, etc) CJ7's are selling for $17K - $40K on Hemmings, some higher with LS motor swaps. But Hemmings is usually a bit high. A few examples of comparable CJs:
84 CJ7 with fuel injection for $29,900
86 CJ7 inline 6 and manual for $16,900

Other comparable listings from eBay:
84 CJ7 Laredo inline 5 and manual with lift, winch, 35" tires for $12,500
77 CJ7 with V8, auto, lift, 35" tires, winch, full cage, lockers for $10K

For the one you've described and pictured, and without knowing stuff about the axles, gearing, what the wiring looks like, the interior condition, looks like regular bumpers, no lift, stock wheels, not knowing what might be hiding behind those rear corner guards, condition of gauges, etc, as a buyer I would be targeting the $10K - $12K range after a satisfactory test drive.

Just for reference, mine is an 84 CJ7. I have a fuel injected V8 and auto trans. With other upgrades (lift, tires/wheels, cage, bumpers, axles, winch, lights, audio, etc) as part of my build, I'd need $45K to let mine go ($50K with the matching trailer). Mine started out as an inline 6 with manual and some gauges not working, hard top and doors, along with 2-piece axles in the rear Dana 20 and 3.54 gearing. It did have new paint, a lift, 35" tires and custom wheels and the winch already on it (quite similar to the eBay listing I referenced above). I paid $12,500 plus shipping to get it off Craigslist.

As a buyer, $7,000 is my limit.
We have a penny pincher in our midst :)

But considering the one I saw on eBay for $10K that already has a lift, 35" tires, a winch, a V8, full cage, and lockers, none of which Kineword's friend has, you're probably more in the right ball park.

Only great restomods and that rare immaculate original specimen can fetch good money. Other than that, they can be had for cheap due to their ubiquity.

Ultimately, it’s the smart buyer who sets the price, and avoids getting gouged.

Ultimately, it’s the smart buyer who sets the price, and avoids getting gouged.
absolutely, and when shopping for a Jeep, don't be afraid to travel out of your comfort zone to another state, end up saving thousands making the long drive more than worth it.

absolutely, and when shopping for a Jeep, don't be afraid to travel out of your comfort zone to another state, end up saving thousands making the long drive more than worth it.
I'm near Houston and bought mine from Mississippi off Craigslist. Couldn't find quite what I was looking for nearby (or even Austin or Dallas or San Antonio) for a price I thought was reasonable. Paid a few hundred to transport mine after the purchase and it was still less than other similar ones closer by.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks