CS130 alternator to fit

CS130 alternator to fit

Torxhead

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s
I was hoping to find some comments on just how to get a GM CS130 alternator for a direct fit into my '86 w/258. The wiring seems to be easy enough, with the adapter that has a resistor already in it. The clocking has got me frazzled. I need a 12:00 clocking, or so it seems, and there seems to be different housing castings where this may not be possible with just any alternator. There also is a CS130D that has some improvements. I would appreciate any help.

dscn2581.jpg

dscn2586.jpg

is this what you are trying to do??

Not quite there IO, I was hoping to use the oem mount that comes with the 258. Nice work though, I really like the cooling rotor that your alternator has. The 12SI oem type alternator that I do have is sufficient as a 78 amp unit along with a 1000 cca Optima battery. The alternator mount that I do have also has an oem type air conditioning compressor used for an onboard air setup mounted on top of that. I think the CS130 would be an improvement as I do have a t.b.i., computer and electric fuel pump. The Warn 9500 winch could use some help also.

I can't quite visualize the problem you're trying to solve.

I understand the clocking position.
I understand that you want to use the OEM bracket. So did I.

I'm not sure what the problem is.... so I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark here. IO's mod looks like what I would have needed to do.

I ordered an alternator from Rush Power Systems.

I can't find the paperwork or the emails, and I can't remember if it's a 10 SI or a 12 SI. I think it's a three wire 10 SI 150 amp alternator with an internal regulator.

Anyway, I'm clocked at 3. My factory bracket was too small for the alternator housing.

I took a few pictures and sent them to Rush Power Systems and they sent me a two-hole flat piece of metal to extend the reach.

So, for what it's worth, here's my "maybe this is pertinent" guess.

-Jon

PS: maybe was a CS130D.... I can call and see if Rush Power Systems still has a record of my order if you need me to.....

Last edited:
IO's is a CS144, bigger beast. I've heard that the CS130 is a direct fit, but I'd bet its for the top mount alt position IE non A/C. The clocking on my 144 was perfect on my top mount alt bracket, but Im not sure how and if it would work under the A/C mount. I'm in the early stages of amassing the necessary parts to do OBA and only have the top half of the factory A/C alt mount (if anyone has the lower half and wants to get rid of it ;)let me know) but looking at it got me wondering if I would still be able to use my current 144.

I would think the problem would be to change the radius of the adjustment arm.

OH-Good, learning a bunch here. THX :banana:
BTW, anydangebody run'n a MSD box on the rubber mounts. Hard wire a GND lead from the mounting screw to the body. It 'cuts' RFI that can be a PITA in CB radios. ;)

LG

258_cj.jpg

This is an underhood pic from my gallery, so you can see that the alternator is really stuffed in. So from what I have got so far is that the fit would be a maybe. I would have to locate an alternator with the correct clocking and take some dimensions to start with. From what I have read on the 10 and 12SI alternators, they are great units to work with, but I still think the CS130 would be an improvement.

T'head-All I'm seen'n is a picture of your A/C compressor conversion??
If it's like my 258. The ALT is under the compressor, correct?
Like anyone on this forum is gonna feel sorry for your 'stuffed' engine bay with that V-8. :laugh::poke:
LG

Yeah, it is under the compressor. If I do a comparison between the two alternators, I should be able to determine if it would be a good fit. Also I hope the battery terminal in the rear will clear the rear of the mount.

:eek: When I saw your engine picture on a smaller screen. I thought you had an '8' :eek:
Is that a TBI setup your run'n?
LG

That is the California legal Howell Kit there Lumpy. Sorry about the pic, it was just one I had in my file.

Sweet set up. :notworthy:
LG

You can pull the 2 piece housing apart and re-clock to fit your application.
The good thing about the CS alternators is the high charge rate at idle (think wheeling) apposed to the SI alternators.

You can pull the 2 piece housing apart and re-clock to fit your application.
The good thing about the CS alternators is the high charge rate at idle (think wheeling) apposed to the SI alternators.

That is a big issue the way I see it Posi, as the CS series seems only to have 3 bolts holding the halves together, from what I have seen not all of those castings will rotate to a 12:00 position. I'll take a trip to a local auto electrical shop and ask a few questions.
I have heard that the CS series puts out more volts at a lower r.p.m. than the SI does and that is one of the reasons for the upgrade. I would like to know if there is any difference in the voltage charging between the two that would make any difference for my computer also. As I don't believe any of the auto manufacturers put out a vehicle that had a SI alternator with a fuel injected motor.

If you want the ears at 12 and 6 o'clock just buy a rebuilt one at AZ for $135 plus core. DLG1352-5-11 is a CS-130 105 amp alternator that has the ears at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Your FI computer only needs 12v doesn't care if it's 12.5v or 14v.

The CS series puts out more amps at a lower rpm. The voltage is the same 13-14.4 VDC.

LG

If you want the ears at 12 and 6 o'clock just buy a rebuilt one at AZ for $135 plus core. DLG1352-5-11 is a CS-130 105 amp alternator that has the ears at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Your FI computer only needs 12v doesn't care if it's 12.5v or 14v.

Posi, I looked up that alternator, That just might be it!

Good to hear. I believe there is an adaptor plug to use with the factor wiring, I'll post the part number when I get a chance to look at my notes.

Sorry for the side-track here.:notworthy:
May I ask, what's the difference between the CS-130 and the CS-130D alternators ? :confused:
My google-fu ain't strong today:(
THX,
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks