Colorado Springs to Ouray Excursion Aug 11-12

Colorado Springs to Ouray Excursion Aug 11-12

Posi

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch
A couple of things to throw out there;
Keep watching this thread for announcements if you are on the list. Subscribe to the thread, it's easy.
Please let me know if you can't make it! Things change and that's expected and okay. What isn't okay is to have everyone expecting you, and not show.

When
Friday -Saturday
August 11-12, 2017
Be there Friday at 8:30 AM SHARP! (
earlier is fine)

Where
We will be wheeling Colorado Springs trails on Friday (full day). Then Saturday morning we will caravan to Ouray. Friday's Colorado Springs trail ride meeting spot with be sent by PM to those who sign up.

The Scoop
There will be a mix of paved roads, dirt roads and trails. We will have a driver's meeting first thing and answer any questions. I expect to be off at 8:45 am. On paved roads we will keep our speed to 55 mph or less.

What to Bring
-Your street-legal 4x4 vehicle (low range required), in good working order, with no major leaks or mechanical problems, and tires with respectable tread life remaining. We will be running on paved roads and as such every vehicle must be registered, inspected, and insured per your state's requirements.

-Lunch - We'll be eating on the trail as we go - not a specific lunch stop location

-Good attitude! We're here to enjoy our hobby.

Other Important Info

We observe Tread Lightly! guidelines, no exceptions. This means; respect for the environment and setting an example of responsible enjoyment of the outdoors. Pack out all trash you bring in. Tires WILL be aired down to limit wheel spin. Mud & water will be navigated no faster than needed. Our group will travel in a way that will minimize damage to the road and erosion. If you're not sure what is appropriate, just ask a leader or gunner for advice on airing down and Tread Lightly in general.

Radios:
The primary communication for this run is CB - cheap handheld unit work fine. Leader and gunner will also be on CB during the run. Channels will be announced at the driver meeting.

Post your journey to Colorado Springs :
Feel free to document your travels from your home to Colorado Springs in this thread.

Reply to this post to sign up. If you have to bail before the run, please reply again or PM me!

1 Bill D +1
2 Posi + 1

Last edited:
I'll be arriving sometime on the 12th most likely - will call / text you when in Ouray and meet up with you guys there... We'll probably be setting up the camp and getting CJ's unpacked and ready to roll.

:chug:

I will be there on the 12th, the morning of the 11th is questionable at best.

Everyone also feel free to stop in and say hey and have a cold beverage if you desire (including water) on way into Ouray - We're at the Ouray RV Park & Cabins - 1700 Main St - Just before you enter Main St Ouray on the right if you're coming in 550 from the North of Ouray...

Look for big 33' RV, Blue Ford F350 and 2 CJ5's...

Last estimate we should be pulling in around 1PM or earlier but check-in not until 1PM... Posi Dave and 007 will have my number (and anyone else who wants it...)

I am planning to be in Colorado Springs Thursday night, I'll join you for the ride on Friday.

Good news!

1 Bill D +1
2 Posi +1
3 Shooby

Barring catastrophe, we're in!

Good news!

1 Bill D +1
2 Posi +1
3 Shooby
4 mriplaybass +1

okay who is Bass bringing? is there something i should know about??

Haha, sorry.

1 Bill D +1
2 Posi +1
3 Shooby
4 mriplaybass and OJL

1week before the Colorado Springs to Ouray Excursion!!
This will be a great time with good friends, sign up and join the fun!

Tools are loaded into the truck, Jeep is ready, truck is ready, trailer is ready, WE ARE READY! LETS LEAVE TODAY!! :driving:
As much as we would like to leave right now, we are going to our sons house today to excavate for a new driveway. Tomorrow, help other son with some home remodeling, Monday, load up the Jeep and head out Tuesday morning! WOOHOO! :banana:

I would like to add that Bass and Old Jeep Lady will arrive in CS a day early to help me prepare my CJ for the trail. Thanks!

Last winter I started a search for a CJ to use on this years Ouray trail ride. I found a 77 CJ 7 with a T18 and Mopar FI, two things I was looking for in a trail Jeep.

It was a one owner Jeep, when he passed, it was handed down to his sister. Her son handled the sale and had it advertised for $3800. Long story short we agreed on $2600.

Bill D and Carol were certainly a big help in making this happen. Bill looked it over for any major issues, then made plans to get it back to his shop. Thanks!

The Jeep isn't pretty, and it will need some TLC. I was told it starts and runs good, doesn't wander too much at highway speeds, brakes and clutch work as they should.

I had Bill check and relay some build dates and codes to me. The T18 is original with optional 4.10 gears that came with the high altitude package. Heavy duty suspension, hard top, also came with a full cage, warn 9k winch and warn front bumper.

The owner passed 10 years ago so I'm not sure how long it's been sitting or how well it was maintained. I will arrive this Wednesday morning in CS and have less then 2 full days to get it ready for Friday's trail ride. Barring any unforeseen issues it will be ready.

Again, not pretty, and a bit crusty but I think it will work for me.

ZAA==

Last edited:
36386645225_0078451dfd_z.jpg

36342080706_b63609f4dc_q.jpg

Nice looking jeep. Looks well worth the money you spent !

Looking forward to turning wrenches with you!

Hey Posi-How do ya get the driver's door open'd :eek: :laugh::poke:
LG

This CJ has the same automatic door opening system as a Tesla.

Hey Posi-How do ya get the driver's door open'd :eek: :laugh::poke:
LG

The PO opened it with a long, square shaft screwdriver but carrying that around was a bit unhandy. The new door handle that Posi mailed to me makes the chore a lot easier.

The door handle would fall under "needs some TLC" previously mentioned.
I ordered a handle and shipped it to Bill D's place a few weeks ago so I could install it when I arrived. However, Bill kindly installed it before I could get to it. Thanks again!
One of the first things I noticed on this 77 Jeep is the 81-84 Laredo lower body stripes. I wasn't sure if the Mocha Brown was original or a re-paint until a pic of the engine bay and color code was emailed to me. Alpine white was the original color, looks to be a good quality re-paint though.
A plus for Black Bear Pass, this 77 came with optional front disc brakes.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks