Cj5 with 5.3L rear driveshaft?

Cj5 with 5.3L rear driveshaft?

Dexter904

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5 5.3L V8 3 Speed 3.73 gears 33” BFG
Hello all,

I’m new to this and looking into my first CJ. Someone is selling a new build 1976 CJ5 frame with a SS Monte Carlo 5.3L in it. The Jeep has 33” BFG’s on it, a 3 speed manual, and eventually a 4” lift on it. 3.73 gears.

My question: what’s my best move for a rear driveshaft (front driveshaft is in) but not rear)? Hard to find a good fit? Easy? Get a custom one? What kind of costs might I be looking at. Thanks for the support.

Short Answer: Tom Woods. Check out his website. I run front/rear TW driveshafts on my 76 CJ5.

Longish answer: Unless you plan on stuffing the 33's (heavy trails, rock crawling, etc.), I'd run a smaller lift. 2.5-3 inches looks and rides good on a CJ5, IMHO. With any lift, I'd be looking at running a double Carden rear drive shaft, as there isn't a lot of length available in a CJ5 to ease the operating angles. And a 4" lift is going to increase the operating angles.

BTW: Welcome!

Thanks for the prompt response Hack, I might be looking at this build tomorrow. That eases some of my concern. I'm glad you feel that way too because it actually comes with an uninstalled 2" lift that I was considering using.

Also, just through google searching I found Tom Wood's and was leaning that way! So in this case I imagine I would just have to send measurements to them and get a custom one? And it looks like the 2-joint top of the line shaft runs at about $300, which I could live with.

The build is at this link. What do you think about it? Apparently all new parts, with a SS Monte Carlo 5.3L with 60,000 miles. 3 Speed tranny, 33" BFG's, $800 clutch etc. Seems like a reasonable deal but like I said, I'm new to CJ's.

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/76-jeep-cj5-chassy/6542529961.html

Good luck with your project. A driveshaft upgrade would be a good bet. With that engine and the transfer case low range would put quite a load on the drivetrain. With a 4" lift you will probably be going with a double cardian u-joint also.

The build is at this link. What do you think about it? Apparently all new parts, with a SS Monte Carlo 5.3L with 60,000 miles. 3 Speed tranny, 33" BFG's, $800 clutch etc. Seems like a reasonable deal but like I said, I'm new to CJ's.

IMO, seems like a lot of money for an incomplete chassis. But I don't know what the local pricing is in your area for 'stuff' like this. Not to dissuade you, but I see a lot money to get that CJ on the road.

In my area, I would be thinking $1000 - $1500, depending on what sort of work has been done, and what boxes of stuff is going with it. And I won't even begin to comment about (what appears to be) a 3" body lift kit that is the pics...

Thanks for the prompt response Hack, I might be looking at this build tomorrow. That eases some of my concern. I'm glad you feel that way too because it actually comes with an uninstalled 2" lift that I was considering using.

Also, just through google searching I found Tom Wood's and was leaning that way! So in this case I imagine I would just have to send measurements to them and get a custom one? And it looks like the 2-joint top of the line shaft runs at about $300, which I could live with.

Did you end up getting it? If so, post some pictures! (the CL link is down).

Sounds like you are buying (or bought) a project with no rear driveshaft. I wouldn't do anything about a rear shaft until it's mostly complete, at least at final ride height. You'll need to determine if you need a double cardan shaft or not. And that's going to depend on which transmission, transfer case, and lift height you use.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks