CJ-7 Original Shackles and new lift kit

CJ-7 Original Shackles and new lift kit

TominMD

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 CJ7, 258 (from an '84, remanufactured), T18 (to be confirmed), D30 (to be confirmed), diffs - stock (to be confirmed). Daily driver - 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited w/Hemi.
I'm planning to install a Skyjacker 2.5" lift kit on my 1977 CJ7. The vehicle has the original suspension (leaf springs and shackles), although the tires had been upgraded to 33x12.5x15 by the PO. I haven't taken the vehicle into any serious off-road situation but feel certain that the tires will drag in the wheel wells with any serious articulation. Hence the reason for the lift kit. Additionally, the vehicle leans to the passenger side at the rear seeming to point to a leaf spring failure, but then they are 43-year old original equipment.

Inspecting the shackles I noticed that the bolts used in each OEM shackle seem to be pressed in or welded to the shackle. The nut is clearly visible on one end but there doesn't appear to be a hex head on the end of the shackle bolt. Has anyone seen this situation on old CJs? I had considered replacing the original shackles but was also trying to keep the cost of this upgrade down and figured I would just replace the shackles at a later point. The replacement stock-length shackles I was considering were the new greasable type and cost $200 per pair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

.....Inspecting the shackles I noticed that the bolts used in each OEM shackle seem to be pressed in or welded to the shackle. The nut is clearly visible on one end but there doesn't appear to be a hex head on the end of the shackle bolt. Has anyone seen this situation on old CJs?

Mine were exactly like what you describe..... I bought replacement style, but non OEM shackles and used greaseable bolts..... been workin like a champ for a year and a half now......

I would inspect the shackle hangers very carefully also. Mine weren't even abused and were cracked. I think it was just brittle metal

Ditto on the checking of the shackle hangers, mine were both broken in the back and it's a '79.

If you are upgrading the suspension with a lift, you must figure all the other additional parts that go with it. Shackles, shackle hangers, and others that may or may not come with the lift (Shocks, Pittman Arm, U-Bolts, Shims, Bushings, Sway-bar Links). It is not possible to inspect these items until you remove them. Here is what I found:

WP_20150127_001_zps564f9070.jpg

WP_20150127_002_zps5dd3648f.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks