Chevy 350 help

Chevy 350 help

raser13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ-5 '83 amc 258 straight six, motorcraft 2100 carb ,inline fuel pump, 1000 cca battery ,T-175 tranny,
Hey guys and gals, it's been a whole since I've been active here. My cj 5 has had a blown motor a 258 for some time now and has been sitting. We haven't had the money to get a new motor. But I've still been here watching in the shadows.

But my luck has changed for the better. I responded to an add on Craig's list for a free running 1990 suburban. Yep, you heard right a free RUNNING suburban. The guy just wanted it gone.

It was his winter 4X4 vehicle. So here in Missouri that means rusted all to heck. But the 350 trans and axles all worked flawlessly. But the reason it was parked last winter was he had blown out a break line. So after an $8 line and a lot of pb blaster I actually drove it home. That kind of thing never happens to me.

Now where I need help. My jeep originally cane from the PO with a 350. I kept having issues with clearance with the distributer and the fire wall. But back then it was a daily driver so I couldn't get rid of the heater. Because it was OUR winter 4X4. Lol so I had a 258 available Andi sold off the 350. I kept all if the conversion parts as a just in case. Well except the fly wheel.that ended up that I didn't take that off the motor.

So question number one what flywheel do I need to get for a 12 in clutch disk? The motor has a one piece rear main seal. second is where would I go to get a wiring diagram for the bourbon. I would like to be able to retain the throttle body that's on the set up that's on the motor. So if I can find a good wiring diagram I'll know where to apply all the powers and grounds to make this thin work.

Any help would be great right now I'm at a stand still till I can at least find out the flywheel info. the parts store guys are useless in this arena. Thanks folks

here Electrical diagrams chevy only | Page 2 | Truck Forum just find the one you need i know i saw something for a 1990 chevy truck in here. not sure about the fly wheel but pretty much any auto parts store should be able to help you out.

as for the distributor either move the motor forward of use a big hammer and tap (or really hit it) the fire wall back to round it out and give the distributor the clearance it needs

For the firewall we're going to take the heater and vent stuff out. Might try and rig a smaller version up for just defrosters. And cut a Square out and weld in a recessed box to gain the clearance. We lucked out on the fly wheel. My uncles a real car but and had one floating around in his storage area that will work. He's going to turn it for us before he brings it over.

Thanks for the heads up on the diagrams. I should be able to find what I need there. You have no idea how much trouble I was having finding those. Looks like I'm pretty much a go on getting this done. Now is all I have to do is get a Chevy suburban fuel pump to work with a jeep sender and I'll be in business. But I think I found a right up on line that will work for me. Lol wish me luck I'll have to do a fun right up on this one.

you could always just use an after market electric fuel pump that is designed for fuel injection

The jeep has one if the low pressure versions for carbs on it right now. And I've had nothing but trouble from it for years. There's a reason I keep two extra on the jeep at all times. Been stranded more than once, only to hike to the store and get a bum one. and have to hike back to the store to replace the replacement.

Stock fuel pumps seem to last for ever. So I will try and see if I can get this one to work in tank first. If not I will begrudgingly go back to an inline. But I've seen a few right ups on how to convert my stock sender unit into a sender/fuel pump set up. Worth a shot.

I'm just throwing this out there. The Wranglers with a 4.0 ran a in tank fuel pump and I think the tanks are real close to the CJ tank. You might be able to get one of those to work. When thinking about putting a 4.0 in my '84 that was my plan.

go to novak they have after market in tank fuel pumps

After using an exterior mounted inline electric fuel pump for the last 10 years with my fuel injection system, I would suggest you could start out with that. Providing it is properly set up.

That TBI motor has a fuel pressure spec. of 9-13 psi. I am not sure what will happen if you use the 50-60 psi pump from a 4.0. If your return line is large enough, the TBI regulator unit may be able to return the fuel fast enough to keep the pressure in spec. If it cannot, your will have all kinds of problems trying to maintain idle and during light/part throttle operation. I have always wondered about trying a high pressure pump on GM TBI but have never tried it. Even if it works, you may run into problems with fuel aeration etc. Who knows? Also, look at diagrams for the 1227747 ECM, those ought to be close to what you have, I believe they used those 88-90.

Dave

That's why I'm looking to try and mod in the original pump. Less to go wrong that Way.bug thank you for the pressure info. I was assuming ur was at the 50-60psi range that a fuel injection system worked at.

If you are using the Chevy engine and the turbo 350 tranny you won't need a flywheel, you will use the pressure plate in front of the torque converter, my current project is a 76 CJ with a Chevy 350 with a turbo 350 tranny im using the stock jeep Dana 20 transfercase

I'm planning on running my stock T-176 Dana 300 ta case behind it. I have the adapting bell housing and now I have the flywheel and clutch plate I needed. Working on sorting out the wiring and getting fresh gaskets on the 350. With any luck I'll have it done by weeks end. Maybe do some light trails, more like bad gravel roads to get it all broken back in.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks