Center flat black hood vinyl decal/sticker?

Center flat black hood vinyl decal/sticker?

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
I see these things all over for newer vehicles.

From my writings you can tell that I can be unbendingly "old school" in my thinking. So, it used to be very common to paint your hood flat black to keep the sun from reflecting into your eyes off the hood. I would like to do something similar on the CJ, but in vinyl. This isn't a new thing, you can get kits for newer Jeeps, various trucks and especially sports cars. I even saw a TV restoration shop put a vinyl sticker on an early '70s Super Bird. So, I believe there MUST be a sticker like that for a CJ. Do you know of a place where you can get a flat black vinyl laser cut center of the hood sticker for a CJ?

It really wouldn't be that difficult to mask off the center and rattle can a black center. But how long would that paint last....

I have kinda wondered about this myownself.
The biggest deal would be get'n the dang thing on straight and centered.
A good polyurethane 'rattle-can' would work well.
LG

Ask for Brandi and tell her I sent you. This is one she made for her jeep. I was thinking about doing a strip on mine as well-didn't the renegades come that way?
8713cf409978c706416d1e3cb5d124f1.jpg

Wooly

How much hassle was it to install?
Really looks good!
LG

OK-sent her an email.
LG

Last edited:
Maybe a different thought on this, what about the plasti-dip spray. Mask off the area you want and spray on. Don't like it, peel it off.

Just a thought.

How much hassle was it to install?

Really looks good!

LG

Not sure about the install but the result is very professional. And, you can remove them with a heat gun. She can make pretty much whatever you want. You could get something small to see the material and try it.

Wooly

WW-In 'comms' with her now.
Where I live-The summer is a 'heat-gun'. :D
LG

Lumpy - So, does she make decals for real jeeps or are they only for Wranglers? I bet if she has a pattern it would be easy enough, but are you going to make the pattern?

She said she can cut any pattern.
Have not heard back from her on the specs I sent.
My biggest concern is get'n the dang thing on straight with no bubbles etc.

Here is what I last sent her on Sunday--

Here are some dimensions to start with.
Front of hood-12"
length-42"(this allows 'wrap-around' at the front and back of the hood)
Back of hood-22 1/2"

How do these specs ck out with your hood??
Get the axles done yet?
LG

Axles, pulled the diff from the front axle I have on saw horses (the disk brake axle) and installed the TrueTrac. Looks right, feels right, 0.0055 back lash, and I don't know, what looks like a nice solid, centered and from one side to the other pattern. I ended up using orange snap line chalk, couldn't find yellow, mixed with .... It was late and I couldn't find my lithium grease to save my life ..... cooking lard, yep cooking lard. It was greasy, it was white and it was available. Mixed with the orange chalk it worked quite well. :)

I've got to check my hood dimensions tonight. Did you allow for the side to wrap over the hood bump down to the bottom or did you stop the edge at the top od the hood bump? I have a hood crease to fix, so toe make it look right the wrap should go down the sides.

I watched these being applied on a hotrod show. They first covered the hood with soapy water. Then laid the decal on the water allowing it to float, lots of time to reposition the decal. When it was right they uses a soft squeegee to work the water and bubbles out. Mistakes were fixed by rewetting the underside. Small stubborn bubbles can be hit with a pin to allow the air out. The final job looked great.

With the popularity of vehicle wraps probably most towns of any size have a place that can make one of these decals. I should look around here some.

Glad all went well.:chug:
No word back on the 'decal' yet.
Yes to front and back 'wrap-around'.
LG

I saw that you allowed for the front and back, it's how far it rolls down the sides that I'm wondering about .... that is the side of the hump.

To the ogive on the radius of the raised section of the hood.
LG

Got it, looking forward to the pictures.

No word back as yet.:(
I'm start'n to think-'rattle-can' stripe. :D
LG

Patience ... patience

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks